An Honest Blogger

4CD745AD-5CB5-4C3D-A497-9439E58964DBRory, A Guy Called Bloke, wrote a post today in which he asked this:

How honest are you to your blog and as such, to your readership? Do you think you can be too honest, too open?

This question really struck a chord with me. Why? I was once told that, since I blog anonymously, I am not an honest blogger. Why? Because I’m hiding my true identity, and unless or until I reveal my true identity, I’m being dishonest and disingenuous.

Well I call bullshit on that. I have my reasons for blogging anonymously, primarily having already been the victim of identity theft — twice! So it has nothing to do with being dishonest or disingenuous.

With that out of the way, on my blog I write a lot of flash fiction, often in response to word or picture prompts. Fiction is stories that describes imaginary events and people. Fiction is invention or fabrication as opposed to fact. So, by definition, writing fiction is not about honesty.

I also respond to Q&A prompts, and I do try to honestly answer the questions posed. And finally, as my blog’s tagline says, I post about life, society, and politics.

Other than members of my immediate family, few of my friends or acquaintances know who Fandango is. If they did, the real world me might feel more constrained when it comes to expressing my deep down inside thoughts and feelings on my blog. After all, I have to interact with these people in the real world and I’m a relatively private person.

Thus, it’s here, on my blog, where I’m probably being more honest and genuine in expressing my inner self than I am in the real world.

So back to Rory’s question, I feel that I am honest on my blog and with those who read my blog. As to his second question, I do feel there is a risk of being too honest and too open — in the real world. But not when it comes to my blog, where I can write and post any damn thing I want.

17 thoughts on “An Honest Blogger

1. thecommutary February 2, 2019 / 4:26 pm

I also blog anonymously and no one needs justification of that. You’re right- not putting your name on the door leaves that door open to much more raw honesty, and that’s exactly what I strive to give my (very few) readers!

2. cagedunn February 2, 2019 / 4:27 pm

I’m with you – honesty requires safety, and anonymity isn’t dishonesty; think whistleblowers – why are they given anonymity?

And there is a difference between honesty and truth, but I’m not a philosopher, so to all those who think they’re honest all the time … I call you out. I know one person who’s never lied in his life … oh, sorry, he was a flat character for a story, too unbelievable …

• Fandango February 2, 2019 / 7:46 pm

Someone who wants people to think they’re someone they’re not, maybe.

3. Richmond Road February 2, 2019 / 5:09 pm

Oh yes … I am a pathological liar but, as someone else has suggested, such lies actually lay the foundations for certain truths which may otherwise remain concealed.

4. Paula Light February 2, 2019 / 6:12 pm

Ironically, being anonymous can also free one to be more honest. If I were anon, I could write many more of those funny dating stories people enjoy along with other things. But I’m not, so I have to be careful and censor what I say.

5. Sadje February 2, 2019 / 6:42 pm

Well said! Agree with all that you have expressed.

6. bottomlesscoffee007 February 3, 2019 / 5:21 am

You said it so well and eloquently. I also blog anonymously. Thank you for writing this, this was the clarity I needed.

7. Matthew Tonks February 3, 2019 / 10:49 pm

Our blogs are an extension of ourselves, and with that we can treat that part of ourselves however we god damn choose to. I’ve played many roles on my blog, the truth, the liar, the role player. It’s my piece of the world to shape however I see fit, and if someone likes and what’s to follow that, then okay, I’m cool with that.

8. freeofreality February 21, 2019 / 3:09 pm

Great answer. I don’t think you can be too honest, though, as long as you have reasons for why you do/think the way you do, and stand by them. Maybe you’re right and everyone else is wrong. People in today’s society really need some fresh air of different perspective.