Tell the Story Challenge — The Texas Standoff

627363fe-8824-43f3-a72a-417096f5c09aI’ve been tagged by Sadje to tell the story about the image above. Image credit: William Webb.

Cecelia and her boyfriend, Matt, were surprised when they ran out of the local bank they had just robbed in the small, dusty southwestern Texas town. They had expected to find the driver of their getaway car waiting, with engine running, to whisk them away. Instead, they were faced with a U.S. Marshall in a business suit, pistols aimed at both of them, standing in the middle of the street.

Cecelia and Matt, each also armed with two pistols, stood there, pointing both of their guns at the marshall. “Your driver’s been apprehended and your getaway car has been impounded,” the marshall said. “There is a sharpshooter on the roof of the building across the street. So you might as well drop your weapons and come along all peaceable-like.”

“No way, lawman,” Cecelia said. “You ain’t takin’ us alive and we’ll take you down before you can get both of us.”

“Hold on, Babe,” Matt said, looking at Cecelia. “I ain’t ready to cash in my chips yet.” He kept one gun pointed at the marshall, but pointed the other one at Cecelia.

“Are you fucking kidding me, Matt?” Cecelia yelled in disbelief.

“Folks,” the marshall said, “it looks like what we got here is a good old fashioned Texas standoff. So before anyone gets hurt, why don’t you be a good boy and girl and lay your guns down?”

Matt started to put his guns down on the ground when the sound of gunfire filled the air. One witness claimed to have heard Cecelia yell at Matt, “You really are a goddam pussy,” before shooting him. Then, the witness said, she spun around shot the marshall just before the rooftop sharpshooter shot her.

By the time the smoke cleared there were three dead bodies on the street.

I’m now supposed to post an image and tag three bloggers to tell a story about the image below. But I’m going to throw this challenge open to anyone who is inspired by this image, which is the work of Brazilian artist Nele Azevedo.e4f75a3f-86e3-4390-96de-cca7df7c4ceb

14 thoughts on “Tell the Story Challenge — The Texas Standoff

1. The Diary of a Country Bumpkin February 1, 2019 / 3:27 am

Excellent story, it was putting the sharpshooter on the roof that changed the whole dynamics of the scene but still ended up with the same inevitable result.

2. Sadje February 1, 2019 / 3:31 am

Did a great job of telling the story. Perfect match to the picture. Thanks

3. The Diary of a Country Bumpkin February 1, 2019 / 6:53 am

My comment above seems to have gone to the wrong place, I have no idea why so I shall repeat it with the details below.
    They were all said to be icemen, cool as you like but when the real heat was on they all just melted away.
    I hope this makes sense!

• Fandango February 1, 2019 / 8:17 am

I figured this was about the picture at the bottom of my post.

• Fandango February 1, 2019 / 8:04 am

It is, but unlike Trump, I didn’t want Mexico to pay for it.

4. aguycalledbloke February 1, 2019 / 2:53 pm

Brilliant story!

It’s funny, Suze always says things like American Standoff, and l say No Babes, it’s Mexican Standoff and she retorts, why blame the Mexicans?

So in this household we have American Standoffs, but l shall now tell her there is also a Texan Standoff – she will be thrilled!

5. leigha66 February 11, 2019 / 3:56 pm

Very good story! Love the image you chose, but too busy to try the challenge right now.