One-Liner Wednesday — Criticism

ab93ae8d-921e-4a54-b6ec-81b4c34dee2d“Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger.”

Humorist Franklin P. Jones

How are you at accepting “honest criticism”? Be honest, now.

Written for today’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt from Linda G. Hill.

25 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — Criticism

1. drtanya@saltedcaramel January 30, 2019 / 8:35 am

I’ll be honest.
    If the criticism is put bluntly I am liable to take offence.
    Tactfully and sympathetically worded criticism does not annoy me.

2. landmers January 30, 2019 / 8:37 am

I pout, get mad, dwell far, far too much on it, then decide if it was something I had known all along. Usually it is.

3. Sadje January 30, 2019 / 8:55 am

Not very good, initially. But do pay attention when I think about it!

4. bwcarey January 30, 2019 / 8:59 am

it all depends of who is doing it, a friend or enemy ,some want to help, others do it to abuse, it’s not clear cut

5. Paula Light January 30, 2019 / 10:43 am

It depends. If I’ve asked for an opinion, then I can take well meaning advice and criticism, no problem. If I haven’t asked but am simply talking or venting as we do, then it depends. If someone genuinely cares about me and wants to help, okay. Even if their advice is off, I don’t mind it. If someone is just being a jerk, trying to get attention or a laugh, I do get mad. May not show it tho.

6. msjadeli January 30, 2019 / 11:48 am

Honest criticism from an enemy is probably the most honest and the hardest to take.

• The Diary of a Country Bumpkin January 30, 2019 / 12:26 pm

Luckily enough I don’t have any enemies, or at least none to my knowledge but if I did receive criticism from an enemy I would promptly ignore it!

• msjadeli January 30, 2019 / 2:33 pm

What the enemy doesn’t realize is they put themselves out in the open when they do it. The nature of the criticism will highlight the motive usually. If not they are on your radar.

7. cagedunn January 30, 2019 / 1:08 pm

As long as it’s not the ‘disapproval’ aspect of criticism, and the person doing the giving is offering a balanced view of my work (or other ‘thing’ I’ve asked for an opinion on) and not on me or my life. that’s not up for criticism. I make my own choices, as do most adults with their own mind.
    Critique my work, leave me alone. there’s a difference, and I take offence to one and love the other!
    I prefer the evaluation to the condemnation, as I’m sure most people do.

Yes, I critique the work of others and it’s often blunt and to the point, but it’s the work I offer my opinion on (and it is only an opinion) and I do it because I want to see them produce the best work they can. The person can make as many other choices as they like – and a writer will call those choices ‘research’.

And that’s my opinion …

8. JT Twissel January 30, 2019 / 1:44 pm

Depends on what is being criticized. If it’s my writing, I’m generally very grateful. If it’s my children, well that’s not going to fly!

9. J-Dub January 30, 2019 / 4:27 pm