Fandango’s Provocative Question #11

FPQEach week I will pose what I think is a provocative question. By provocative, I don’t mean a question that will cause annoyance or anger. Nor do I mean a question intended to arouse sexual desire or interest.

This week’s provocative question deals with the concept of death with dignity.

Do you believe that terminally ill people should be allowed or encouraged to end their lives via physician-assisted suicide? If so, under any circumstances or should there be restrictions? If not, why not?

Optionally, if you were diagnosed with a terminal condition, would you consider physician-assisted suicide for yourself?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments.

And most important, have fun.

26 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #11

1. pensitivity101 January 23, 2019 / 3:56 am

IMO it all comes down to quality of life and dignity. We wouldn’t let a beloved pet suffer, and I think there are circumstances where this option should be permitted without fear of prosecution. If it were me, I would not want to be a burden, and would like the choice to decide.

2. Marleen January 23, 2019 / 6:38 am

Absolutely should not be encouraged to end their lives. It’s best for people to value each other’s company even in adversity. Allowed? Mostly, I think they (or I too) should not be required to go to great lengths to extend life. The grey area is what great lengths are. My mother and I have talked about this a little (as she brought it up). And she doesn’t want tubes in her stomach or, I think, even down her throat. (Nothing like this is going on right now, she’s in great health.) I don’t think she was listening, but I told her I see no reason not to do intravenous liquid (and probably some other things they can put in there like electrolytes). Something I’ve heard happening with little alarm is if someone is in great pain and under the suffering of a terminal disease at a late age and they are receiving [I think] morphine… it might not be very restricted.

• Marleen January 23, 2019 / 2:57 pm

To clarify, stories I’ve heard sound like the morphine might not be very restricted.

3. Irene January 23, 2019 / 6:55 am

Not encouraged, but allowed, yes. Restrictions should apply, and quality of life should be at the top of the considerations.

4. Suze January 23, 2019 / 7:22 am

No physician would encourage suicide…well, except for dr death the dude who created the suicide machine and eventually ended up in jail for it. I have given tons of thought to this question. For myself, should I be diagnosed with a terminal disease, I will immediately go into Hospice care. No surgeries, no chemo, no crap that will “extend” my life. I wouldn’t just kill myself though…that would cause far too much grief and guilt within my loved ones.

• myforever77 January 23, 2019 / 11:13 am

I agree we are not obliged in any way to extend our lives with the torture in some cases the medical community has introduced. But suicide is out of the question in my thought process for reasons you suggested as well as religious reasons.

• Marleen January 23, 2019 / 3:32 pm

Is there such a thing as outpatient hospice?

• Fandango January 23, 2019 / 4:47 pm

Aren’t all hospices outpatient? All hospice patients are on their way out. 😱

• Suze January 24, 2019 / 1:13 pm

most hospices are now completely outpatient…the idea is that a person dies at home. Some of my husband’s patients lived in nursing homes. There are still one or two hospice “houses” in the U.S.. Hospice houses are far more likely to be found in Europe.

• Marleen January 24, 2019 / 1:33 pm

So, is the idea that you sign up for hospice care so that it is KNOWN — in terms of legality or authorization or something — you are NOT to be put under hospital care? I’m thinking of the possibility that someone is diagnosed but still nearly fully functioning. But then something might come up (and it could be good to have a plan or caregiver in place already).

5. aguycalledbloke January 23, 2019 / 12:20 pm

Brilliant question, and one which Suze and l discuss frequently. pensitivity summed it up eloquently with the compmarison to a beloved pet. We wouldn’t wish for our pets or companions to be in pain and yet it is perfectly acceptable to extend the life of a human loved one?

My Father who recently passed away begged my Sister to end his life, and she refused, thankfully, not because of declining his wish, but because of the law. But he wanted to die and with the way he went he should have been entitled to make that decision when he was able.

We are allowed to have DNR in place [do not resuscitate], why can we not have a l want to die please and it should be my decision if l am ill and suffering?

6. rugby843 January 23, 2019 / 2:34 pm

For me, this is an easy answer to a difficult question. Personal ethics, religion, whatever, I don’t think should enter into it as an “outsider”? My husband had been suffering for a month in the hospital and asked me if he could just let go. He had terminal esophageal cancer, had gone through chemo and radiation and two operations. He was done. We all knew it and keeping him with us was a torture for him. Of course I said yes. If I get into that state, I have a will stating I want no extreme measures taken. I think we are selfish in trying to override someone’s wishes in that state,

7. Marleen January 23, 2019 / 2:39 pm

Good point that the person could put what they want in writing so the people they are asking to follow through aren’t accused of whatever nefarious or selfish reasons.

8. Marilyn Armstrong January 23, 2019 / 7:11 pm

At long last, a question into which i can sink my fangs. Good one. Important one. I’ve never understood how i can put my pets out of their misery, but no one can do it for me.

9. Marleen January 24, 2019 / 3:50 pm

I am wondering something else about this. We have logistical problems with trying to put people to death when it comes to the death penalty. So… I see practical issues.

10. myforever77 January 25, 2019 / 3:23 pm

It seems to me after reading this thread people identify themselves as a body with a soul, OR a soul with a body OR just a body with no soul. Interesting!