Ursula Asks; Fandango Answers

2ed17876-b8e3-4f98-a0c9-ab49e3ab544eUrsula, An Upturned Soul, was nominated for the Mystery Blogger Award by Sadje. Oh Ursula, we have so much in common (cuz Sadje also nominated me for that very same award).

So Ursula has posed five questions in her response to the blog award for which she was nominated and has opened them up to anyone who would like to answer them. And I do, indeed, wish to answer them.

#1 – What is the best compliment you could get or have received for one of your creations?

“Oh wow, I wasn’t expecting that.” Because I like writing posts with a twist and I hate being predictable (except when it comes to my feelings about Donald Trump).

#2 – Which creative person has had the most influence on you and your creativity?

My answers to this question will demonstrate just how shallow of a person I am. In terms of the written arts, it’s columnist, humorist, and author Dave Barry. I love the wit and ingenuity of his work and and he always brings a smile to my face when I read him. At one point in my early days of blogging I tried to emulate his style and I failed miserably.cace55c5-2f80-40e6-9d1e-5a1cc62ca332

In terms of visual arts, it’s M.C. Escher. His graphic art always blows my mind.5cf21db9-ed99-43d8-9224-bf3e6dcacf78

#3 – Which work of art, literature, invention, song, film, etc, which has already been created do you wish you could have created?

Anything written by Dave Barry or drawn by M.C. Escher. Duh!

#4 – Do you have a creative muse, someone who or something which never fails to get your creativity flowing? Do you want to share your muse or keep them a secret?

Donald Trump. Just kidding. No, come to think of, I’m not.

#5 – You find a book and begin to read only to discover that it is your life. You get to the point that you are at now, do you turn the page knowing that you will not be able to change the events to come?

Whoa. I wish I would have thought of this question for one of my Fandango’s Provocative Questions posts. Actually, that book about my life would be so damn boring that I would have stopped reading it and put it down way before getting to the “now.”5eb98113-7e20-4a8f-80a6-f9763661c654

12 thoughts on “Ursula Asks; Fandango Answers

1. Marilyn Armstrong January 9, 2019 / 3:57 pm

There have been interesting periods in my life, but THIS is not one of them. I love Dave Barry too. He wrote a great piece in the New Yorker about 2018. I may still have it and if you like, I’ll send it to you. it was hilarious. Or at least as funny as politics can be these days.

• Fandango January 9, 2019 / 8:07 pm

I didn’t read it, so if you can send me the link I’d appreciate it.

2. Sadje January 9, 2019 / 11:24 pm

Great answers. The last one is interesting. But would I even recognize that book as my own story?

3. Marleen January 10, 2019 / 12:33 am

I actually think I would turn the page, as one new set of pages doesn’t go too far… but I’d be curious (and maybe change something beyond that). However, that doesn’t translate into me doing things like reading horoscopes or visiting palm readers. Yet, again, I’ve much enjoyed a gift of a book called THE NEW ASTROLOGY (which surprised me).

My creative muses tend to be intellectuals, theologians, academics; if I were to choose one, it would be Mark Nanos (well, I can’t do it — a second would be a fellow writer of a similar kind, Brigitte Kahl). (And then there are musicians tending a bit weird, including the fact I sometimes like what others think are not the strongest representative work.)

Hmmm. Would I rather have written the book, Les Miserables, or the musical? Or the musical, Hamilton? Or would I rather have participated in designing my local performing arts center? Frankly, it could be enjoyable to create sets for musicals.

The most influential person concerning my creativity (in a positive direction) was my dad. He liked to think and imagine and was a visual artist and teacher. (Also a nature lover.)

In response to work over time, and one particular painting, a teacher offered to recommend me for her art school alma mater (in St. Louis — Washington University — where I was no longer living and which I didn’t see as making sense in my life).

• Marleen January 20, 2019 / 10:52 am

Why Is The Hamilton Guy Helping Neoliberals Loot Puerto Rico?

I ran across this today and feel compelled to share it (a caller clueing us in).

4. anupturnedsoul January 10, 2019 / 2:20 am

Love your answers, Fandango!

I think most creatives tend to start out emulating the work of those who’ve inspired them, and then gradually they find their own voice as they use it more and more, and gain confidence in its personal sound.

If you read a lot of the works of one author, their voice gets in your head, but it slowly gets absorbed into your system and becomes part of your own voice. In some ways what we love about others is already a part of us, but it may be latent or dormant and they wake it up for us.

5. theresaly520 January 10, 2019 / 8:49 am

My sister and I love MC Escher’s illustrations. Inspires both of us in our own creative endeavors

6. leigha66 January 16, 2019 / 3:58 pm

Actually hadn’t seen that particular Escher print, but I love his stuff! Good group of answers!