The [Food] Court of the Queen of Questions

Teresa, The Hidden Wordsmith and the Queen of Questions, wants to know a little about our grocery shopping habits and our dietary preferences. Well, since they say that you are what you eat, here’s everything you need to know about me.

1. What is your favorite chocolate dessert? My wife makes this great chocolate mousse cake. It’s to die for.55a85a3c-7091-4441-b933-c2566ce47c0d

2. Where do you go first in the grocery store? The fruits and veggies aisles. It’s the first thing you come to when you walk through the door.

3. You win three minutes of free shopping in the grocery store with an empty cart…what do you fill it with? Groceries, duh!

4. What is your favorite fruit and how do you like to eat it? Bananas sliced and tossed into a bowl of cold cereal.fecd43b3-e4d9-419b-955e-d085f2c1ae92

5. You go to a magic cafe where plates fill with whatever you request…what do you get? Magic spells?

6. How do you like your fish? Filleted and sautéed.

7. Do you eat jello (what is your favorite flavor)? Not since Bill Cosby was arrested.414a8d43-0acf-4d07-8812-d5d1b57be3d4

8. What is the most, ahem, “adult” food you can think of? Prunes?

9. What food do you eat that might put you in the “old” age? Prunes?

10. Mall food courts…yes, no, where do you eat? I can’t remember the last time I went to a mall, much less ate at a mall food court.

20 thoughts on “The [Food] Court of the Queen of Questions

• Sadje January 4, 2019 / 10:01 am

I wouldn’t know about them as I am not “old” yet! 😛

• Marleen January 4, 2019 / 1:16 pm

The food that might seem like an old person’s food that I eat is canned sardines. But I’ve eaten them all my life. I did learn from my mother’s mother to eat them.

I like the kind with the bones still in them.

• Fandango January 4, 2019 / 2:13 pm

I’m not a fan of canned sardines. Nope. No way.

• Marleen January 4, 2019 / 3:13 pm

There are some good ones you can get from Costco in bulk. You sure?

1. Marleen January 4, 2019 / 1:20 pm

Number six: I like a lot of seafood. Mostly fresh.

Just yesterday, I had a wonderful sandwich on grilled potato bread of blackened salmon with some fat and skin remaining in it, aioli, caramelized onions, arugala, etc. In actually don’t usually order sandwiches, but that was great.

• Marleen January 4, 2019 / 1:48 pm

A happy memory is that my dad used to go fishing and cook what he caught (from lakes) breaded with cornmeal on a grill.

2. Marleen January 4, 2019 / 1:32 pm

Number ten: Panda Express isn’t bad. But I hardly go to malls now. I don’t know what all is in those places at this point. I’d maybe look for moussaka and dolmades at a Greek place.

3. Marleen January 4, 2019 / 3:06 pm

Number one: I do like chocolate. I will list a few things. A dark chocolate cake (midnight) with white mountain frosting [from childhood, both components homemade], tiramisu, dark chocolate biscotti with nuts, hot cocoa.

Number four: I like… cocoa beans. Really, I like lots of fruits; can’t choose one or even a few. I used to tend toward red, now I tend toward bright yellow orange too — mango, papaya, apricot. Never turn down fresh blueberries.

• Marleen January 4, 2019 / 3:29 pm

Straight is the best. Cherry and apricot are the top options for something cooked, like on cheese danish… but are yummy plain too. Cherry, apricot, and banana are also good with chocolate. Mango is a great choice in a smoothie (or, like all good fruits, unadorned).

Raspberries are pretty good mashed up in some vodka. Shall I go on?

• Marleen January 4, 2019 / 4:22 pm

I was going to say I’ve said enough, but I have two favorite things I’ve done with flavored boxed gelatin-like substance (not jello). One involved a strawberry cake from scratch when one of my sons asked for a strawberry cake for (maybe) his sixth birthday. I liked doing a lot of things with fresh strawberries in early spring back then, and his birthday was late spring. (In the actual flavor of a cake, the strawberries couldn’t precisely be fresh anymore… but I did use real strawberries in the batter in addition to the flavoring… and fresh strawberries on top). I made up the recipe with the help of a vanilla cake recipe and something else I had done recently (I hope to run across the paper I wrote it all down on someday). So, I’m answering number seven.

The other good use of boxed gelatin-like substance was raspberry flavored. That was along with fresh chopped up oranges and nuts, plus cinnamon — all to perk up cranberries at Thanksgiving. That is a Jell-o brand recipe, even if I used a kosher product.

4. leigha66 January 10, 2019 / 2:29 pm

Three minutes is not very long for a shopping spree, but I would definitely head for the meat and seafood area.

• Marleen January 10, 2019 / 2:43 pm

That’s something I was going to [when I read it at first] think more about… because it could conceivably happen, right? Meat and seafood sounds good. Maybe also specialized canned goods that run out on holidays (like queen Anne cherries). Some fresh produce is kind of expensive. But, you’re right, three minutes is not long.

• leigha66 January 10, 2019 / 3:38 pm

I thought about produce but that spoils so fast if you get too much… meat you can freeze.