All About Family

E6EA258A-8877-46FB-BD33-ECA4B86C9D1FTeresa, otherwise known as The Haunted Wordsmith, or alternatively, the Queen of Questions, has asked a new series of questions about family on this Christmas Eve.

Here are her questions and my answers.

1. Which fellow blogger do you consider the wise elder that you turn to for sage advice? At my advanced age, there are few bloggers who are my elders, but I often find pearls of sage wisdom from Marilyn Armstrong over at Serendipity.

2. Which fellow blogger is the younger sibling that you want to mentor? I don’t really feel that it’s my role to mentor other bloggers, but I’ll be happy to answer any questions about blogging that any newer, younger bloggers might wish to ask me.

3. What is one activity that your family used to do as a Christmas/winter tradition? We’d all get together for a Christmas Day brunch, then go out to a movie and to dinner at a restaurant that is open for dinner on Christmas night.

4. Do you have a relative that is never invited, but always seems to show up at family events? Fortunately, no.

5. What family activity do you wish people still practiced? Conversation without the TV on, smartphones in use, or arguments about politics.

6. You can take your family anywhere in the world…where do you take them? To someplace sunny and warm.

7. Do you value family or friends more? Yes.

8. Is there a family member that you resemble more than your parents? No. I’m tall and everyone else in my family, including my parents and siblings, were short. My son, though, is tall and lean and resembles me.

9. Are there any interesting ancestors in your family tree? None that I’m aware of.

10. What is one thing that shocked you about your family tree? That my parents weren’t born where I thought they were born.

11. How far back have you traced your family tree? Three. Before that things get kinda fuzzy.

12. What are your family rules at games (like Monopoly, Uno, etc)? Everyone gangs up on Dad (me).

13. What is your favorite story about families (or that has a family in it)? I don’t know. Swiss Family Robinson?

14. What Christmas/winter tradition did you start as an adult? Playing board/card games at home on New Year’s Eve.

15. What is your favorite commercial or tv episode that featured a family? I’ve really enjoyed the sitcom “Life in Pieces,” but it didn’t return this fall and it may have been canceled.

16. Which TV family did you want to be a part of? I can honestly say that there has never been a TV family I would have wanted to be a part of in real life.

17 thoughts on “All About Family

1. newepicauthor December 24, 2018 / 3:03 pm

I thought that Sight would have been a good answer for question #2 as he does call you Sensi.

2. Marilyn Armstrong December 24, 2018 / 5:03 pm

I just couldn’t answer any more questions today. Also, there was giant meal to cook and consume and clean up after and it’s just as well this only happens once per year!

3. Ruth December 25, 2018 / 3:27 am

Intrigued that your parents weren’t born where you thought they were…? 🙂

• Fandango December 25, 2018 / 10:11 pm

They had told me they were from Russia, but I later learned that they were both born in the Ukraine.

• Ruth December 26, 2018 / 8:21 am

My English grandmother met my Scottish grandfather in London between the two world wars – she asked where he was from, and when he told her ‘Ross-Shire’ in his very Scottish accent, she thought he said ‘Russia’, so told everyone she was dating a Rusian… 🙂

4. Marleen December 25, 2018 / 8:43 pm

My dad’s parents weren’t born where he had thought they were, either. He grew up thinking they were German (which is at least something like what they had said… maybe they said they spoke German). For this reason, he took German in high school… thinking his mother could help him learn it. When he showed her the book, she said it wasn’t German. He remained confused about where she was from even after he found out. He would guess and forget. But we have her early 1900s birth certificate saying Romania, from which her family moved when she was very young before 1910. His dad’s family was from Czechoslovakia (moved here [to the U.S.] around the turn of the previous century — late 1800s — before his dad was born).

I’m intrigued, too, about your parents.

• Fandango December 25, 2018 / 10:13 pm

As I just responded to Ruth, they told me they were from Russia, but they were from the Ukraine.