Our Cheerless Leader

B9A3601A-52EF-4457-B94F-FAE7657538E3Yes, our Cheerless Leader apparently feels that satirical comedy, especially when it satirizes him, is unfair and should not be legal.

This goes way beyond being thin-skinned. It’s conclusive proof that Donald Trump wants to negate the First Amendment, to control the free press, and to suppress all criticism.

He wants to be a dictator.

14 thoughts on “Our Cheerless Leader

1. James Pyles December 16, 2018 / 9:03 am

To be fair, according to Newsweek magazine, Obama “went to war” against Fox News, and George H.W. Bush didn’t always feel comfortable about how SNL depicted him. To the elder Bush’s credit though, after he left the Presidency, a video of him appeared on SNL with him good-naturedly teasing the actors and producers. Seems he had a sense of humor about himself.

• Marleen December 16, 2018 / 11:12 am

There’s a difference between being against racist lying (as s-u-pp-o-s-ed news) and being against someone (really bunches and bunches of people or organizations) not liking you or not saying constant nice things about you — in large part because you’re a lying criminal.

• James Pyles December 16, 2018 / 1:22 pm

The last time I watched it was almost a decade ago when I went to Omaha for my aunt’s 80th birthday. We stayed with a different aunt and uncle and they had Fox News on constantly. While Fox News has a definite slant, CNN and MSNBC aren’t always married to the unabridged facts either.

• Marleen December 16, 2018 / 6:05 pm

Fox “News” is almost total bunk.

• Fandango December 17, 2018 / 7:27 am

I disagree. But you’d expect that, I’m sure.

• James Pyles December 17, 2018 / 9:35 am

True. I think I posted a matrix of news sources on your blog once that assessed each one by political leaning and accuracy, and as I recall, MSNBC was definitely left-leaning and at the edge of “dodgy” in terms of accuracy. To be fair, Fox does lean right and isn’t always accurate either. If given a choice, I prefer accurate and neutral which is why I have to consult multiple news stories when fact checking.

• Marleen December 17, 2018 / 11:21 am

I used to watch Fox News (but not exclusively). Thank God I was, long before Fox News existed, not only brainwashed with right-wing junk (because of my mother’s politics and an organization she had me in touch with as an extracurricular time-consumer) but educated by sane Christians in actual Christian settings. This gave me the ability to sort out what was flawed about right-wing extremism — all the more so when Fox became more extreme than the extreme group I had been in would have ever admitted of themselves. And when you can observe lies, well, you have to be honest with yourself… or not, up to you.

You are at a disadvantage, incidentally, in adhering to print. I’m not saying not to read print, but when one can see for oneself, it’s good.

I also also have to wonder whether or not you read the article to which you linked. Headlines are often sensational.

• Marleen December 17, 2018 / 11:47 am

(I still check in on Fox “News” by the way. Horrid… with exceptions here and there.)

2. rugby843 December 16, 2018 / 11:02 am

The people around him must be on drugs. I would think even THEY would tire of it! What an embarrassment he is.

3. Paula Light December 17, 2018 / 6:22 am

SNL isn’t even that funny anymore, but trust Mango Mussolini to boost their ratings.

• Fandango December 17, 2018 / 7:31 am

It’s hit and miss. I thought this Saturday’s show with Matt Damon was more hit than miss. Last week’s, though, was all miss. I don’t even remember who the host was.