Sunday Photo Fiction — Proof Positive

B8ECDB36-7ED4-4A4B-94A3-F174B91B5551

It was the family’s last day in London. They headed out of their hotel to grab some breakfast before heading to Heathrow for their flight back to the States.

After finishing breakfast, the young daughter caught something out of the corner of her eye and she ran over to take a closer look. After confirming what she saw, she ran back to her parents and, in an excited voice, said, “Daddy, I need you to buy me something.”

“Sweetie,” her father said, “We already have enough souvenirs. We don’t need to buy any more tchotchkes.”

“I don’t know what tchotchkes are, Daddy,” the girl said, “but this isn’t a souvenir. Come see.” She grabbed her father’s hand and pulled him over to see what she wanted so badly. When the two of them, plus the little girl’s mother, saw what she had pointed out, her father and mother both started to laugh. The father bought the item and handed it to his daughter.

“I understand why you wanted this so much,” the father said to his daughter. “But your Mom and I didn’t need to see the headline in the newspaper to know that you exist, Nessie.”

(197 words)

Written for today’s Sunday Photo Fiction prompt from Susan Spaulding. Photo credit: C.E. Ayr.

21 thoughts on “Sunday Photo Fiction — Proof Positive

1. michael1148humphris November 25, 2018 / 5:34 pm

I have never come across the word Tchotchke, so in my life it is rarer than Nessie.

• Fandango November 25, 2018 / 9:22 pm

And now you have. Did you Google it?

• michael1148humphris November 26, 2018 / 5:28 pm

I had to, as I was intrigued

• Fandango November 25, 2018 / 9:23 pm

Thanks Neel. I appreciate your comment.

2. Abhijit Ray November 25, 2018 / 9:14 pm

Sweet story. What did they buy for Nessie, the little girl? What is Tchotcke?

• Fandango November 26, 2018 / 2:52 pm

They bought her a copy of the newspaper. A tchotchke is a small object that is decorative rather than strictly functional; a trinket.