Sex is a Dirty Word

546881D0-E338-4979-AE1D-C5F776C3B257You may have already heard that there is a proposal being floated at the U.S. State Department that could prohibit American diplomats from using the phrases “sexual and reproductive health” and “comprehensive sexuality education.”

Instead of “sexual and reproductive health” and “comprehensive sexuality education,” the proposal is that U.S. officials would be instructed to use phrases like “reproduction and the related health services” in official communications.

This proposal is being pushed by a handful of conservative political appointees at the State Department and other agencies. Abandoning the use of the word “sex” would be a symbolic move that aligns with other Trump administration efforts to reduce funding for, and focus on, women’s reproductive issues — especially anything related to abortion.

The problem appears to be that saying “sex” makes Trump’s far-right Republican supporters feel all sad and uncomfortable inside.

I guess that for the 2020 election, Trump is going to change his #MAGA hashtag to #MAPA, for Make America Puritan Again.

22 thoughts on “Sex is a Dirty Word

1. pgraysurvival November 13, 2018 / 10:41 am

I prefer MITOO (Muppet in the oval office)

2. rugby843 November 13, 2018 / 10:44 am

I wish I hadn’t read this. My morning was starting to make sense…

3. rugby843 November 13, 2018 / 11:28 am

I might believe that if it wasn’t for the cow post!🙄😂🤗

4. Ruth November 13, 2018 / 11:41 am

FFS, what next! Well, all I can say is, if the mere suggestion of sex makes all these straight-laced rebublican supporters feel all sad and uncomfortable inside I would suggest perhaps they’re doing it wrong… 😛

5. Marleen November 13, 2018 / 1:43 pm

Sheesh. I thought gender was the objectionable political word to “conservatives” — but sex, now, too? Hmmm. I did know about rules against funding reproductive health, internationally (as usual when a Republican takes the office of President). Domestically, they gave away their bizarre lack of consistent thought by objecting to requiring insurance to cover birth.

• Marleen November 14, 2018 / 8:34 am

Side note: Republicans used to be in favor of international family planning. That was before they decided to get more political mileage out of acting puritanical.

• Marleen November 14, 2018 / 8:46 am

Question: Do they want to go with “gender” on birth certificates rather than “sex”?

• Fandango November 14, 2018 / 10:20 am

Republicans used stand for a lot of things that they no longer do in the age of Trump.

• Marleen November 14, 2018 / 10:37 am

Maybe they want to go with “reproductive assignment” on birth certificates.

• Fandango November 13, 2018 / 9:37 pm

They turned ugly two years ago and are getting uglier by the day.

6. Somewhere Sea November 14, 2018 / 1:07 am

Sounds like there are a lot of unsatisfied couples in that group, which makes me sad and a bit irritable. I’ll stop with just that.

• Fandango November 14, 2018 / 7:57 am

“… makes me sad and a bit irritable.” It makes me angry.

7. leigha66 November 20, 2018 / 4:56 pm

That is just crazy. Sounds like a group of immature boys who can’t say sex without giggling. And you know they wouldn’t want to do anything that remotely looks happy.