Song Lyric Monday — Breakup Song

No, this isn’t a ripoff of Helen Vahdati’s popular Song Lyric Sunday prompt. Yesterday I was searching for something and I came across an old scrapbook that brought a flood of memories of my high school days. One page in particular was a feeble attempt to write the lyrics to a song.

Yes, at one point in the distant past I fancied myself to be a potential popular song lyricist. And what you see below is one of my early attempts at writing a song. I titled it “I’ve Got a Reason to Cry,” and it was to be sung in sort of a Del Shannon style along the lines of his hit song “Runaway.” Note that the words “CRY CRY CRY CRY CRY” in the chorus were intended to be sung in falsetto.26293467-57A8-44E7-AE05-3F2766B9B3F0The notation in my scrapbook indicated that I wrote the lyrics in September 1963, when I was still in high school. Another notation said “After Vicky broke up with me,” but even though she apparently devastated me at the time, damn if I can remember who Vicky was.

Just in case you can’t read the lyrics on the typed page, I’ll repeat them here.

She called me up at work one day
And she said that we were through
She said she didn’t love me anymore
But she didn’t wanna make me blue

Oh well now

[Chorus]

I’ve got a reason to
I’ve got a reason to
I’ve got a reason to
CRY CRY CRY CRY CRY
But I don’t know why
No I don’t know why
Oh I don’t know why-y-y-y-y

She told me that she loved me
Least a dozen times just the other night
I need her, I want her, I love her so
She’s the only girl that I’d hold tight

Let me tell you now

[Repeat Chorus]

We were getting along so fine
And I guess I’ll know
Exactly who or what it was
That made her decide to go

Oh oh oh

[Repeat Chorus]

I guess I’m just a fool in love
But I’d take her back if I could
Even though she hurt me oh so bad
Her lovin’ was oh so good

People hear me talking now

[Repeat Chorus]

I don’t know why I’ve got a reason to cry
I’ve got a reason but I don’t know why

Etc.

[Music Fade]

Hey, don’t judge me.

15 thoughts on “Song Lyric Monday — Breakup Song

1. wideeyedwanderingspoonie November 12, 2018 / 11:42 am

Hey man, it was the 60’s and anybody who can remember the 60’s didn’t really live them! rofl. Actually a pretty good attempt though. Nice poetry, would have loved to have seen the music notes that went with it. 😉

2. pensitivity101 November 12, 2018 / 12:09 pm

Always hard to put lyrics to music when you don;t know the tune. I thought they were pretty good actually for the time!

• Fandango November 12, 2018 / 2:24 pm

No, but I did sing it to close friends. They all laughed at me.

3. baddadcartoons101 November 12, 2018 / 4:26 pm

So you and Kavanough both saved things from high school. This should clear you of any wrong doings. Anyone who writes lyrics like this couldn’t have done anything too bad.

• Fandango November 12, 2018 / 9:37 pm

Phew, that’s a relief. Now if only I were a lawyer, I could throw my hat in the ring for a SCOTUS nomination. Good thing I didn’t save any of my calendars, though.

4. Sight11 November 12, 2018 / 9:00 pm

That’s school life for ya… All the burdens in the world but all forgettable… And yet everlasting memories…

• Sight11 November 13, 2018 / 12:57 am

Who cares you were so in love, your brain farted by removing her consciously from your mind.. Haha..

5. rugby843 November 13, 2018 / 12:15 pm

Wouldn’t dare to judge, high school days of love, what memories, what pain. Nice lyrics, but how about a video of you singing, playing?

• Fandango November 13, 2018 / 1:51 pm

Not a video, but maybe a wav file.

6. leigha66 November 20, 2018 / 9:27 am

I think these lyrics could work…hard to tell without the music. Good job!