Wildfires

C97821A3-ED20-4981-BE55-8A8191B67270

The Northern California “Camp Fire” has, so far, claimed the lives of at least nine people and devastated the Butte County town of Paradise. The fire has grown to 90,000 acres and destroyed 6,713 structures — nearly all homes in its path — making it the most destructive fire in California history.

The fire is about 140 miles northeast of San Francisco, but its effects are being felt all across the Bay Area, with smoky skies and an air quality index that is “unhealthy.” It’s so bad, in fact, that many flights were canceled at San Francisco International Airport and Bay Area residents have been advised to stay indoors. But as a dog owner whose dog expects to be walked three or four times a day, I can’t really stay indoors.

The Camp Fire is only about five percent contained and there is no rain in the forecast. But at least the winds have died down, so maybe that will help firefighters get this thing under control.

The photo at the top of this post was taken yesterday afternoon at around 3:00 and shows the sun partially obscured by the smoky haze. And the colors are unfiltered. That’s the actual color of the afternoon sky.

26 thoughts on “Wildfires

1. Marleen November 10, 2018 / 9:43 am

I wondered if you or your area have been affected. Thanks for letting us know. I do hope things get better yet, and very soon. It was shocking to see that in the news last night… largely because some of the same people endangered by the recent shooter are affected by the fire.

• Fandango November 10, 2018 / 10:45 am

Yes, that’s the one in Southern California, north of LA.

2. blindzanygirl November 10, 2018 / 10:22 am

That is just awful Fandango. I knew about this from another friend – not in WordPress- but was so shocked to hear about Paradise. It is almost unbeluevable, yet it is true. I am so sorry. ,i hope with all my heart, as does e eryone, that there can be some way to beat the hell out of this fire. All the very best to you – and your dog.

• Fandango November 10, 2018 / 10:58 am

Thanks. Other than bad air, I’m out of harm’s way, but I feel terrible for those who have lost everything in these fires.

3. Marilyn Armstrong November 10, 2018 / 10:49 am

California is really burning down this year. I wish I could send you some of our rain. Everything here is mud and I’m pretty sure if we don’t get a break, we’ve also going to be underwater. I feel like the world is out of control and every possible level. I hope they get a handle on this one really soon!

4. James Pyles November 10, 2018 / 11:21 am

I sent you a link via your “Contact Me” page of a story about a fire in Golden Gate Park, which, as far as I know, is unheard of. I don’t understand why California specifically is the target of these (seemingly) year round fires when the rest of the western states suffer from wildfires mainly in the summer months. Causes I’ve heard range from Climate Change (though I guess climate is only changing in California) mismanagement of forests, years of drought, and mismanagement by PG&E (or all of the above).

• Fandango November 10, 2018 / 1:17 pm

There were six fires in Golden Gate Park, which is only 3 blocks from were I live, since last night and some are blaming the homeless who live in the park, others are pointing to vandals. But the fires all seem to have been deliberately set. One fire destroyed about an acre of land, but so far, no property damage (other than the trees) or personal injuries.

5. JT Twissel November 10, 2018 / 11:41 am

This has been terrible year, hasn’t it? Many of those folks in Paradise were retirees. I’m afraid the death toll will rise…. Rain must come.

6. cagedunn November 10, 2018 / 12:57 pm

As an ex-volunteer with the Rural Fire Service in Australia, that sky is a big concern. Dust can burn, embers can carry for a very long way. Even if you think you’re out of harm’s way, be prepared. have a kit of the things you can’t live without, or would need to start your life over. Put it near the front door.
    Do you have a plan?
    Fire is not just a country thing, and just because towns and cities have fire services doesn’t mean they can be everywhere at once. Prepare your house, make sure the gutters are cleaned, no wood mulch too close to the building, no tall trees near power lines or other combustible points/contacts …
    Be prepared, even if you’re not in the immediate danger zone.
    And if you have things you can offer to help the people who’ve lost everything – where do you take them? How can you help?
    Do you have a plan?

• Fandango November 10, 2018 / 3:14 pm

San Francisco is on the tip of a peninsula surrounded by water on three sides, so it’s highly unlikely that wildfires would reach the city. But I do live near Golden Gate Park and a handful of fires broke out there yesterday, probably arson. The real threat we have around here is earthquakes, and, yes, we do have supplies and a plan to for that should a major earthquake hit the city…assuming we survive it.

7. Melanie B Cee November 10, 2018 / 2:48 pm

Well crud. I thought those horrible things were over for this year. I have a friend who lives near S.F., a bit south in one of those towns….I hope she’s okay…. lordie. And is it named the “Camp Fire” because some half wit let a camp fire get out of control?? %!#! people are stupid. 😡

8. msjadeli November 10, 2018 / 3:33 pm

The idea that individuals are intentionally setting fires in the midst of the other fires is truly disturbing. They say CA gets every trend first in the US. I pray this trend remains contained to your state and somehow neutralized (both the wildfires and the arsons).

9. Sight11 November 10, 2018 / 6:27 pm

So everything good on your end.. And if you do want, (OK that’s what I want), stay indoors, at least till the fire is contained..

• Sight11 November 10, 2018 / 6:41 pm

Well your cat wouldn’t mind.. Haha.. Bad pun..