Time To Write — Politics as Unusual

65FABB36-29AC-4D35-9CF2-1C97B924E983“What happened?” Jane asked her husband. “Oh my God, what happened?”

“It’s nothing,” Archer said.

“Nothing?” Jane exclaimed. “Look at yourself. You’re eye is swollen shut and is turning black. Your lip is cut and bleeding, as is your nose. What the hell, Archer?”

“Just a slight altercation with a guy at the office,” Archer said.

“An altercation? You mean a fist fight,” Jane said. “With who and about what?”

“Dan, my cubicle mate, was late because he voted this morning on the way to the office,” Archer explained. “He asked me if I had voted yet and I told him that I had voted by mail last week. Then he asked me who I voted for. I told him that I learned a long time ago to avoid talking about sex, religion, and politics at the office.”

“Okay, but then how did this happen?” she asked, pointing at his face.

“He kept pestering me about who I voted for, so I finally told him,” Archer said. “And that’s when all hell broke loose.”

“What exactly happened?”

“He was pissed. He said that my vote canceled out his. Then I said that since I voted before he did, his vote canceled out my vote. Things went down hill from there.”

“But how did things turn physical?” Jane asked.

“I dunno,” Archer said. “He said I was unpatriotic, called me a globalist, said I believed all the fake news, and that I wanted illegal immigrants to overrun our county.”

“You’re kidding!” Jane said. “So he hit you?”

“Well, I might have said a few things back at him,” Archer admitted. “And suddenly fists were flying. Our coworkers had to pull us apart and our boss sent us both home. We both got formal warnings and are on work probation.”

“I hope Dan looks as bad as you do,” Jane said, hugging her husband.

“Worse,” Archer said, a painful smile appearing on his face.

Written for Rachel Poli’s Sentence Starter prompt.

15 thoughts on “Time To Write — Politics as Unusual

1. Sadje November 3, 2018 / 10:13 am

It can come to this! The political affiliations are affecting our social lives. I once had an argument with my best friend about politics and she was so upset, she didn’t speak to me for a week! A lesson to not to discuss politics and religion with ANYONE!!!

2. Kijo November 3, 2018 / 10:40 am

I envy the fighting instinct.

• Fandango November 3, 2018 / 11:44 am

Seems a lot of fighting going on these days.

• Kijo November 3, 2018 / 12:17 pm

Perhaps, in these political times, I should rephrase.

I envy the fighting instinct as something that can be mounted and put to good purpose rather than something that will run riot and destroy us all.

Thanks for helping me see better.

3. Sight11 November 3, 2018 / 2:07 pm

Well…. At least he was clear on his ‘righteous’ stand, and beat the crap out of Dan…

4. newepicauthor November 3, 2018 / 2:32 pm

A person who advocates the interpretation or planning of economic and foreign policy in relation to events and developments throughout the world. What the hell is wrong with being a globalist?

5. leigha66 November 11, 2018 / 10:28 am

Too much violence in the world… often over trivial things or things you can’t change.