Brainwashed or Brain Dead

9F17921C-82C7-4887-89F6-79847C3656F0“Did you read that a cheerleader took a knee at the 49ers football game on Sunday?” Jimmy said. “First it was that quarterback and now it’s a cheerleader.”

“That’s so un-American,” Charlie said. “It puts a taint on the whole NFL. They should fire that cheerleader.”

“I actually support her right to conduct a peaceful protest over the treatment of black people by police,” Sally chimed in. “Just last Friday two more black men were injured by the police.”

“Football games ain’t the place to do that,” Jimmy said. “These people need to honor our flag by standing for our national anthem. What they’re doing is unpatriotic.”

“These people?” Sally screamed. “Are you kidding me? You’re such a fucking racist, Jimmy. What they’re doing is the epitome of patriotism. Your statement is excruciatingly inappropriate.”

Charlie looked at Sally and said, “Dry your eyes, snowflake.”

“That’s it. I’m outta here,” Sally said. As she was leaving she added, “I’d say that you two have been brainwashed by alt-right propaganda, but that’s not possible since both of you are clearly brain dead.”

Written for these one-word prompts: Scotts Daily Prompt (knee), Word of the Day Challenge (taint), Your Daily Word Prompt (support), Ragtag Daily Prompt (Friday), Daily Addictions (excruciating), and Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (dry).

13 thoughts on “Brainwashed or Brain Dead

1. Somewhere Sea November 2, 2018 / 5:18 pm

Interesting ponder–I’m leaning toward it being more appropriate to stand for the flag/national anthem. As a devout (but hopefully not annoying) Christian, “taking a knee” should be a matter of conscience, whatever the venue–all the fuss about it on athletic fields seems petty, ridiculous to me. Just my opinion, you’re welcome to delete 🙂

• Fandango November 2, 2018 / 6:19 pm

I don’t delete well articulated opinions. I have always stood for the anthem, but I do understand using a venue that is viewed by millions of people to *peacefully* protest violence against blacks by police. Those who take a knee are making a statement about an injustice, and it’s not directed at the flag or at vets. They are exercising a First Amendment right that our soldiers have fought and died for to preserve. But I agree, all the fuss, mostly stirred up by Donald Trump in his reaction to it, seems ridiculous to me, as well. If he’d have just ignored it, it wouldn’t be a divisive issue.

• Somewhere Sea November 2, 2018 / 8:09 pm

The increasing divisiveness is killing the country–when not literally taking lives, it’s surely killing our individual and collective spirits. The atrocities and tragedies multiply–along with the insanity–and it all brings me to my knees. Thank you for discussing with me.

• Fandango November 2, 2018 / 10:48 pm

I am wondering if the outcome of Tuesday’s election will change the trajectory of this divisiveness. I worry that if there is a do-called “blue wave” and the Democrats take the House (and maybe the Senate, that Trump will rile up his base and there will be more violence. And if the blue wave never materializes and the Republicans maintain the majority in Congress, that there will be no stopping Trump and the rapid disintegration of our democracy.

2. All About Life November 3, 2018 / 1:51 am

Just my opinion but it seems that thoughtful protest is better than blind patriotism….

3. Sight11 November 3, 2018 / 2:02 pm

I’ve said it before and I’m going to say it again, that’s not a place or a way to protest…

4. leigha66 November 10, 2018 / 5:15 pm

I see nothing wrong with a peaceful protest… sad thing is I doubt it will make a difference.