FFfPP — The Final Resting Place

A001E6FB-17B4-42D3-80C2-D09C31F70C62“How many bedrooms and bathrooms?” Dave asked the realtor.

“The house is a shell,” she responded, “You’ll have the flexibility to configure it any way that meets your needs.”

“How long do you think it will take to complete the renovations?” Lizzie asked her husband.

“I think we could get the work done in maybe six months if we don’t run into any major structural issues,” Dave responded.

“The bones are solid,” the realtor assured them. “But it will need all new wiring and plumbing. That’s why it’s been priced way below market for a house this size sitting on four acres of land.”

“And you said that it is zoned for commercial use?” Dave asked.

“Yes, commercial and residential,” the realtor answered.

“Let’s do it,” Lizzie said.

“You really think we can handle it?” Dave asked. “This will be the biggest project we’ve taken on.”

“Yes, it will be perfect.” Lizzie said. “We can live in part of the house and set up the mortuary and chapel in the other part. And there’s plenty of room on the four acres for the cemetery. It will be the perfect final resting place for our clients.

(198 words)

Written for Roger Shipp’s Flash Fiction for the Purposeful Practitioner. Photo credit: AugustMorgueFIle 1385913133hxuxw.

And for Daily Addictions (complete).

15 thoughts on “FFfPP — The Final Resting Place

1. Marilyn Armstrong October 27, 2018 / 5:15 pm

Talk about a business that never goes out of style: death! Whether it’s a drive-by burn & urn, or a full military interment, you can’t lose with death. ALWAYS in fashion.

• Marleen October 28, 2018 / 10:56 am

I wanna do the science thing, which I think always ends with cremation. My sons’ father’s mother did that, and I think their father’s father will do it too. My dad wanted to do what his mother would have wanted (no cremation), and he’s buried in a family plot. It is permissible now [decided by each sect/branch/denomination/location], though, to bury ashes in traditional American religious plots. My dad’s dad bought the fairly large plot when my dad’s mother’s mother died. My sons’ father is currently in possession of his mother’s ashes. I suppose it doesn’t ever have to happen, but those ashes are supposed to be taken to a family plot a few states over.

• Marleen October 28, 2018 / 6:25 pm

I heard in the news that Disney parks deal with a significant issue in sweeping up ashes people have decided to spread here and there. A couple of favorite locations are the Magic Kingdom and the Haunted Mansion.

• Fandango October 28, 2018 / 9:39 pm

I’m not that big of a Disney fan that I’d want my ashes spread at a Disney theme park.

• Marleen October 28, 2018 / 9:55 pm

I’m not either.

2. Marleen October 28, 2018 / 11:07 am

Sounds like a great deal!

3. leigha66 November 4, 2018 / 1:48 pm

If you have the time and skill a fixer-upper is a great way to go. Nice post!