Then and Now

412F9E90-E2F3-4D30-B76B-51D5F35F603BThis may surprise you, but back in the day (in the late 60s and early 70s), I was a hippie. I had long hair, wore tie-died shirts, bell-bottom jeans, and sandals. I was proud to let my freak flag fly. Some of my friends said that I looked like a hippie Jesus. I’m not making that up!

But while I was a hippie, I was not a flower child-like pacifist hippie. I was a political activist. After all, this was at the height of the Vietnam war, and our country was almost as divided back then as it is today. Almost.

I participated in a lot of public protests and marches against the war. I also protested against specter of the re-election of Richard Nixon and campaigned for the peace candidate, George McGovern. To no avail, as Nixon won in a landslide.

The good news for our country is that, in a rare display of political partnership, Republicans and Democrats came together and Nixon was forced to resign the presidency.

Wouldn’t it be enchanting if something like that would happen today? As unlikely as it is, that would totally reinforce that the American Democracy is alive and well.

Written for the following one-word prompt: Ragtag Daily Prompt (flag), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (public), Word of the Day Challenge (specter), Your Daily Word Prompt (enchant), and Daily Addictions (reinforce).

16 thoughts on “Then and Now

1. Fingers To Sky October 23, 2018 / 7:40 pm

Please tell me that is an actual picture of you? Though I am a product of the 90s (GenX) I did sew my own panel pants. I feel like this generation wasn’t sure how to approach rebellion on the political front. Instead, we tried to change the culture in other ways. Though music seems to be this amazing way that people relate to current times. Or at least it used to be that way.

• Fandango October 23, 2018 / 8:30 pm

No, that’s not me. I blog anonymously, so you won’t find any pictures of me here. That said, the guy in the picture is a fairly good representation of how I looked back then. Each generation has its own unique ways of dealing with the critical issues of their times.

2. newepicauthor October 23, 2018 / 7:50 pm

The first time I was able to vote, I voted for McGovern and once a hippie, always a hippie.

3. Paula Light October 23, 2018 / 9:57 pm

I remember my father being for McGovern. We lived in New Jersey and every kid in my class was for Nixon since their parents were. Since this was the 72 election, I would have been 11. As the years go by, I’m even prouder of my dad for being one of the few.

• Fandango October 23, 2018 / 10:34 pm

Like your dad, I, too, was one of the few. Sadly, it wasn’t even close.

4. Marleen October 24, 2018 / 7:03 am

My parents (and teachers) didn’t make me aware of the Vietnam War, and I was nine in ’72. I became more aware of the larger world during the Nixon presidency, but still wasn’t old enough or aware enough to have much of a political viewpoint.

It does seem like hippie days now for anyone to get along or care about much of anything other than the dear leader (or his partners in crime). And our most recent war — while we are enablers of a new one with our weapons — gave up privacy.

5. leigha66 October 31, 2018 / 11:55 am

If only both sides could work together like that now… ah, to dream!