Killing Me Softly

So Teresa, The Haunted Wordsmith, tagged me in a challenge to select nine “killer pieces of music” that you could murder by, and to then tag three other bloggers.

Seriously? Music to murder by? I have never even thought about murdering someone, much less what music I’d choose to accompany the act.

That said, I’ll open up the darker side of my imagination and see what I can come up with. But first, here are my tags:

Jim Adams over at A Unique Title For Me
Roger Shipp at It’s All In Finding the Right Words
Paula Light at Light Motiffs II

Okay, here are my nine songs to murder by.

22 thoughts on “Killing Me Softly

1. Marleen October 20, 2018 / 11:19 am

Way more complex presentation of Angry Eyes than I’ve heard before! Nice.

Of course Roberta Flack is fantastic. A number of those songs are pretty depressing (although the Blue Oyster Cult one has been “explained” differently). I Shot the Sherriff, though — an all-time classic. All-in-all, I like your list better than another that had basically one I liked in it (although a couple were “educational” in a sense as to what people are into).

Your last one reminded me of this:

Monster Mash

I’m sure you’ve heard it. There was a whole album. And I had that album. My dad and I had a season pass to six flags in st louis the year this was most popular, which turned out to mean we went there on Halloween night and saw the singers/band live and ran around to rides while the music played all over the place.

• Fandango October 20, 2018 / 3:16 pm

Oh yes. I was definitely around for the Monster Mash! Sort of a precursor for Michael Jackson’s Thriller!

• Marleen October 20, 2018 / 4:14 pm

Hm. I hadn’t thought about that. (I wasn’t such a fan of Thriller.) Also, I guess I’m not really sure when Monster Mash was “most popular” — just when I was hearing it.

• Fandango October 20, 2018 / 10:40 pm

It was released in 1962 just before Halloween and was a monster hit…pun intended!

2. Marleen October 20, 2018 / 2:23 pm

Along those lines…

Little Red Riding Hood – Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs

The Persuaders – Thin Line Between Love And Hate

I like Anne Lennox’ version of the second one 2.

• Fandango October 20, 2018 / 10:33 pm

Both good songs to murder someone by.

3. Marleen October 20, 2018 / 4:20 pm

I’ve tried to find a good clip of Angela Bassett setting a fire and telling the fire marshal (or someone like that) that it “won’t happen again.” (Much better than hurting someone.)

• Fandango October 21, 2018 / 7:59 am

There are only so many “good to murder by” songs out there.

4. Marleen October 21, 2018 / 8:51 pm

There was a “This is Life” episode on CNN tonight. Lisa Ling conversed with two children of two different murderers. The first one said she grew up thinking she had “monster DNA” and was afraid she would do something like her dad had done. Kind of sobering.

• Marleen October 21, 2018 / 9:02 pm

Her dad already had some issues (although it might’nt have been obvious because he did well in school). It got worse over time (a mental disorder) but was probably especially exacerbated by too much use of mind-bending drugs over a long stretch. He became abusive (and was left by his wife therefore). On top of that, he then met someone else who was psychotic. His daughter had loved him, and he had been caring earlier, so she was very confused.