Basket of Deplorables

681E68DC-FCF5-41C2-98FB-4375F09CA837Do you remember when Hillary Clinton said “You could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables”?

Well, it turns out that she was right. Now I don’t want to disparage all, most, or even half Trump’s supporters by calling them deplorable. But I will say that the Trump administration is teeming with people who are despicable.

And I include in this cast of despicable characters Trump, himself, his kids (except for Barron, who is probably too young to be despicable), his wife, his entire White House staff, every member of his cabinet, every Republican in Congress, most Republican candidates, and several Supreme Court justices.

In just a few weeks, our American democracy will be faced with its greatest challenge in our lifetimes. Republican governors and legislators in red states are doing everything they can to suppress the votes of those who are most likely to vote for Democratic candidates.

And have you seen these hypocritical Republican candidates dissemble when discussing Obamacare, claiming that they will protect benefits for preexisting conditions while voting for and supporting legislation that would eliminate such benefits? Is that not the very definition of despicable?

It’s time for each and every one of us to make a resolution to vote in the upcoming midterm elections and to sweep the Republicans out of control of the House of Representatives — at least.

We need to save our country! VOTE!

Written for these one-word prompts: Word of the Day Challenge (deplorable), Daily Addictions (teem), Ragtag Daily Prompt (week), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (challenge), Your Daily Word Prompt (dissemble), Scotts Daily Prompt (resolution).

15 thoughts on “Basket of Deplorables

1. Irene October 19, 2018 / 11:52 am

I am not a voter, but I am praying those who are will!

2. lifelessons October 19, 2018 / 1:34 pm

These words seemed to come together very easily in your essay. Sadly, too, too true. Good job.

• Fandango October 19, 2018 / 2:10 pm

Thanks. The prompt words did fit together nicely.

3. newepicauthor October 19, 2018 / 1:50 pm

I have never voted in a mid-term election before, but I won’t miss this one as I want as many Republicans out of office as possible.

4. Marleen October 19, 2018 / 2:44 pm

That’s probably one of the best things Hillary gave us, the terminology of the basket of deplorables… the part that was bad being her add-on that they were irredemable. That’s harsh, and an example of her political missteps. Still, the resulting basket images themselves are pretty apt. (I didn’t vote for Hillary, and that might put me on some bad sides while it wouldn’t have made a bit of [electoral college] difference in my way red state — and I didn’t vote for Trump but did vote, and didn’t basically vote for Republican desires by voting Libertarian/anarchist either.) People who have been on Trump’s team or side or in the basket as enablers can decide by how they now think and vote whether they are indeed redeemable in a broader sense.

5. Marleen October 19, 2018 / 8:22 pm

We had a sign in our yard for the Democrat running to be our congresswoman in D.C. when a neighbor from down the street knocked happily on our door. Our house is visible from a street that passes by a school (so it gets a lot of traffic, at certain hours anyway); she wanted to put up a sign for the woman running to be our Democratic governor. We said yes.