Sunday Photo Fiction — Not In My Backyard

1208DC9E-8BBC-414D-9152-A69789895CED“Why would anyone do something like this?” Wally, the head of the cleanup crew asked.

“It’s a protest against converting this abandoned building into a shelter for the homeless in our community,” Grace, the town councilwoman said. “They believe we’re going to be dumping what they call our human garbage here, so they drive their trucks here and dump their physical garbage in the parking lot.”

“But don’t they realize that it’s to their benefit to give the homeless a safe place to sleep at night?” Wally asked. “Otherwise they’ll be out on the streets or in the parks sleeping in makeshift shelters or boxes.”

“I think they realize that,” Grace said. “It’s not so much that they’re against the idea of shelters. It’s more of the NIMBY issue that they oppose.”

“NIMBY?” Wally said. “What’s that?”

It’s an acronym for ‘Not In My Backyard,’” Grace explained. “They’re just opposed to having a shelter in our town. These townfolks wouldn’t be dumping their garbage in the parking lot of a proposed shelter that isn’t in our town.

“They want to make the homeless problem go away by pushing it on someone else,” Wally said.

“Outta sight, outta mind,” Grace said.

(200 words)

Written for Susan Spaulding’s Sunday Photo Fiction prompt. Photo credit: C.E. Ayr.

Also for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (shelter) and Daily Addictions (grace).

10 thoughts on “Sunday Photo Fiction — Not In My Backyard

1. Marleen October 14, 2018 / 10:30 am

Have you seen or heard of something like that really happening? It sound realistic.

I’m trying to remember the details… a house was for sale in my suburban neighborhood when I started hearing about a legal objection to certain people buying it. Turns out the buyers were going to be, as individuals, a “group home” (the term I heard at the time). Some developmentally challenged people were going to live there along with caretakers on rotation. An objector had seen one of the people on the sidewalk and thought it would scare her child. The objectors lost, and there was no problem in real life.

2. Marilyn Armstrong October 14, 2018 / 10:31 am

I think that’s what we are doing with the upcoming “end of the world” scenario. It’ll take a while. With a little luck, I won’t be here anymore. Let’s hear it for old age.

3. Sadje October 14, 2018 / 11:53 am

It would be very sad if it really happens. I hope that it doesn’t come to this.

4. Sight11 October 14, 2018 / 3:59 pm

Outta sight.. Outta mind… That’s the policy to adhere to nowadays, by many if not few….

5. Abhijit Ray October 15, 2018 / 5:13 am

A nice and different take on the prompt. Problem of NIMBY will not go away. This is the wrong approach.

• Fandango October 15, 2018 / 10:27 pm

A sad reflection of our inhumanity toward one another.

6. Susan October 20, 2018 / 6:57 am

A sad commentary on society. The last line says it all