Petticoats and Junctions

My wife and I were walking our dog in the park yesterday and we passed a woman wearing a skirt that flared out from her waist down to just below her knees. “That’s weird,” I said to my wife. “How does she get her skirt to stand out like that?”

“She probably has a petticoat on underneath her skirt,” my wife said.

“What’s a petticoat?” I asked, at which point my wife explained that a petticoat is a slip-like undergarment that women used to wear under their skirts to give them shape and fluff.

And then I had a flashback to the 1950s when I was a very young lad with two older sisters, one of whom used to dress like this for school.6A4A4AE0-54F4-4072-8CE0-72FF7283CA35 Yes, she would often wear a cashmere sweater or a cotton blouse, a poodle skirt, along with bobby socks and saddle shoes. And, in order for her poodle skirt to have just the right amount of flare, she no doubt wore a petticoat beneath her poodle skirt. Yikes!

Junction Function

On an entirely different topic, the city in which I live is installing a number of small traffic circles — or as we used to call them in the northeast, “roundabouts” — at a handful of smaller intersections in our area.7612AA75-73AE-41BA-8B50-A2B94BE90F21I’m not sure there’s a pressing need for these traffic circles, but that isn’t stopping my city tax dollars from funding them. The real problem with these traffic circles, however, is that they are a rarity in Northern California and no one has bothered to explain to the locals how traffic circles are supposed to work.

If you’re from back east — or anywhere where traffic circles are common — then you know the rules. When entering a traffic circle, you’re supposed to yield the right of way to vehicles that are already in the traffic circle. But California drivers don’t know that rule. Sadly, that puts the lives of those of us who do know that rule at serious risk.

So, my friends, if you’re driving in California and you happen upon a traffic circle, stop your car, turn around, and go back the way you came. Otherwise, you’re bound to get broadsided by a California driver who considers a traffic circle to be a bumper car ride.

12 thoughts on “Petticoats and Junctions

1. Irene October 12, 2018 / 6:06 am

In Mexico there are many roundabouts/traffic circles, some more like the big Spanish “glorietas” with up to three lanes! I must confess I never learned the proper use of the most inner lane, I thought those were unfortunate souls trapped for eternity.

2. Sadje October 12, 2018 / 7:23 am

Very entertaining post about petticoats and roundabouts!

3. V.J. Knutson October 12, 2018 / 7:51 am

My husband abhors roundabouts – they are putting them in here everywhere – same dilemma. Love your resolution – turn around and go the other way. Btw now I have Petticoat Junction stuck in my head.

4. pensitivity101 October 12, 2018 / 8:39 am

Reminds me of a double roundabout that got nicknamed ‘the monkey puzzle’. Basically it was two junctions joined like the link in a chain. If you were a visitor to the town trying to follow the diagram on which lane to get into had you going back the way you’d just come. If you knew where you wanted to go, you just ignored it!

5. crushedcaramel October 12, 2018 / 12:44 pm

The town I grew up in is a new town (built in the sixties as an overspill of the city) and has scores of roundabouts – from mini-roundabouts to one of the largest roundabouts in Europe (named “haf-mile island”. We don’t have any traffic lights though. So when we take our driving lessons/tests we are all experts in roundabouts, but struggle to understand a traffic light system.
    Visitors to my home-town used to find driving a nightmare because of the road system, but we loved it!

6. Marilyn Armstrong October 12, 2018 / 9:06 pm

Traffic circles are lethal EVERYWHERE even when they are common. I got crushed by a truck at one, almost run down by a huge fire truck that was not heading to a fire and no one know where to get off. We’ve gone around the same circle half a dozen times hoping to spot some kind of sign that tells us where to exit.

• Fandango October 12, 2018 / 9:40 pm

Massachusetts is known for its crazy traffic circles and “mixing bowls.”

7. leigha66 October 19, 2018 / 2:38 pm

Last year they put a roundabout in town… people seem to be adapting to it pretty well.