One-Liner Wednesday — That Never Occurred To Me

0862ADFE-62D2-4AA2-A290-3BA2B17D73B8

“One thing a person cannot do, no matter how rigorous his analysis or heroic his imagination, is to draw up a list of things that would never occur to him.”

Economist Thomas Schelling

Think about it. It makes perfect sense.

It also makes me wonder about those who are strict constitutional constructionists, who believe that a judge should apply the text within the United States Constitution only and precisely as it was written in 1787, when there were 13 states and the population of the mostly rural country was around four million people.

I wonder if it ever occurs to those who favor strict constructionism that maybe, just maybe, not everything that exists in 2018 — a country with 50 states and 325 million people living in a global economy with technologies and challenges unimaginable 231 years ago — occurred to our country’s Founding Fathers when they drafted the Constitution.

What do you think?

Written for Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt.

19 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — That Never Occurred To Me

1. bikerchick57 October 10, 2018 / 3:48 am

I believe there is always room for amending the Constitution – not to bias toward a political or religious stance, but to keep the country a contemporary democracy for all, freedom for all, equality for all.

• Fandango October 10, 2018 / 8:57 am

I agree, although the road to amending it is a long, arduous one. My concern is how judges interpret it: as written 231 years ago or as it applies to today’s issues and challenges.

2. Melanie B Cee October 10, 2018 / 7:51 am

I’ve read somewhere or other that the Constitution was deliberately written so it could grow with the nation. And I’m fairly stupid about such things…I learned about the Constitution of course, ten billion light years ago, in 7th grade. I could even (at the time) quote you some of it. Sadly (it is very very sad to me personally) that kind of knowledge has not been retained, and I’m ashamed to say I couldn’t quote much of it at all NOW.

Recently I’ve been reading a book about the sorry state America finds herself in circa 2018. My thoughts while trying to digest that text (because thinking hasn’t been my ‘go to’ and I’m sick of being stupid) are opened mouth horror. Because whether or not one is a ‘constructionist” (and I’ll have to scurry around and figure out what that MEANS) — found this explanation via ‘trusty’ Google:

“Strict constructionism is a legal philosophy that applies a narrow, or strict, interpretation to a legal text, like the U.S. Constitution. Under strict constructionism, a judge can interpret a text as it is written, considering only what is presented within the four corners of the legal document.Feb 18, 2017”

Whether or not one is one of those sorts, the bigger concern, to me, (who has admitted she is really dumb), is that those doing the judging have no more brains than Dorothy’s scarecrow and less common sense than Toto. How can one interpret a text as complicated as our constitution IF one is so incredibly stupid and nonsensical? I recognize my fellow dingle berries. Sadly enough for America, they’re supposed to be LEADING us…. Oy vey!!

• Fandango October 10, 2018 / 9:09 am

It is amazing to me that anyone could take a document written 231 years ago and freeze it so that it can only be interpreted based upon the times in which it was written rather than in the times in which it is being applied.

3. Laura October 10, 2018 / 9:34 am

I love this quote, and your application to strict constitution constructionists is a point well made. I’m filing this away for hot topic conversation.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 10, 2018 / 2:02 pm

And you know, I don’t think it’s going to happen. Because too many people stand to lose too much if they fix what’s wrong with it.

4. Marilyn Armstrong October 10, 2018 / 2:01 pm

I think we need a reframing of the constitution because there are amendments that make no sense and many others that are so antiquated they are worse than useless. I think our constitution did really well for a long time, but I also think we need to ditch pieces of it, add others, redraw more. But what do I know, right?

• Fandango October 10, 2018 / 6:00 pm

I agree, but we are so divided, I don’t see how that can happen.

5. cagedunn October 10, 2018 / 6:34 pm

A Raspberry?
    It’s true, you know. Someone who said he was a scientist told his scientific brethren that the world was considered flat by all previous civilisations until … well, you know … this group of people (the author of the scientific paper, no less) discovered it was round.
    Of course, there wasn’t as much information around at the time, and the people believed it, because it came from a good (financial) source, it was published, and it was taught in schools to the next generation of those who needed to be influenced by [superior minds.
    Tell people enough times it’s the way it is, the way it was, and the way it will always be and they will believe it.
    The best form of manipulative PR … and the facts didn’t get in the way for a good long time, did they?
    Of course, I know nothing – and I believe … less, because what I see is that all things change, entropy, grow, move …
    that’s just an opinion, of course, because I’m nobody from nowhere with not a clear thought in my poor old head. Oh, and not in the top 1% of anything.

6. Sight11 October 10, 2018 / 7:58 pm

Constitution doesn’t constitute active changes to be made in it in a simple manner, mainly because there always is a chance that another Trumps lie in wait… Hence the check and balances..

• Fandango October 10, 2018 / 8:32 pm

I’m not talking about changing the Constitution, I’m talking about interpreting it.

• Sight11 October 11, 2018 / 12:52 am

Same side of the coin if you ask me.. What if the interpretation is not in sync with the current mindset or values uphold by society… Instead of making it easier to remind them, we have to deal to live with them as an unnecessarily yet important measures of keeping alive the check and balances.. Unless like in UK the court interpret it differently, which opens a can of worms if you ask me…

• Fandango October 11, 2018 / 6:17 am

“What if the interpretation is not in sync with the current mindset or values upheld by society?” That is the problem with strict constructionism. They interpret the Constitution based upon the mindset and values of the Founding Fathers 231 years ago, not on the realities of 2018.

7. Laurie October 11, 2018 / 5:45 pm

The quote is perfect for the argument you make about the constitution. How could our founding fathers have imagined the way our country would grow, how the technology would change, and how our values would change. We would never countenance women being denied the right to vote or slavery today (most of us, anyway), but those existed at the time the constitution was written. Good point!

• Fandango October 11, 2018 / 6:36 pm

Thanks. And yet there are those who still don’t see it that way.

• Marleen October 12, 2018 / 11:09 pm

There are changes weve made with additional amendments (beyond the original ten), and there are times we’ve had laws permitted that are argued against at other times (like now, while we’ve outlawed assault weapons in the past — legislation that expired as written). There’s a voting rights section that was struck down by the Supreme Court not long ago. We have to stay on top of things.