Happy Thirteenth Anniversary

No, it’s not my thirteenth wedding anniversary. I’ve been married for way more than 13 years. But it was exactly thirteen years ago today, on October 10, 2005, when I published my very first post on my very first blog.

It was on Blogger or Blogspot, which may be the same thing (I think my URL had a “blogspot.com” domain name), but it (or they) are now part of the Google family, which they weren’t at the time I started that blog.

Anyway, I named my first blog “They Took an X-Ray of My Head and Found Nothing.” It was based on something Dizzy Dean, a professional baseball pitcher in the 1930s, said. In game four of the 1934 World Series, Dean attempted to break up a double play on a ground ball. The second baseman’s throw ended up hitting Dean in the head, knocking him unconscious. Dean’s x-ray at the hospital came back negative, and Dean was quoted as saying, “The doctors x-rayed my head and found nothing.”

But I digress. The tagline of my blog was “All the news, views, and commentary that I think are important…to me, anyway, because, after all, it’s all about me!” Hmm. Not much has changed in 13 years, has it?

My first post was a whiny lament about how the second basement for the Boston Red Sox made an error that cost the Red Sox the game. And it was a playoff game, too! I used to blog about sports a lot back then because politics at the time was, you know, boring. Oh how I wish that were still the case.

My “X-Ray” blog was up and running for more than three years, until December 6, 2008. It was replaced a month later, on January 6, 2009, with my second blog, which only lasted until June 9, 2009. For my third blog, which I started a month later, on July 6, 2009, I moved it from Blogger to TypePad. Then, in July of 2013, I started blog number four on WordPress.

For personal reasons, in mid-April of 2015, I took a two-year hiatus from blogging. Until May of 2017, when I started this blog, blog number five (hence, “Fivedotoh”). I realized that I couldn’t stay quiet with Donald Trump as POTUS and with all of the chaos he was creating and the damage he was doing.

I also decided that, in order to maintain my own mental health, I would dabble in flash fiction to serve as a distraction from the insanity in Washington.

And here we are, thirteen years later. So happy thirteenth blogging anniversary to me. Thank you for sharing this auspicious anniversary with me.

23 thoughts on “Happy Thirteenth Anniversary

1. Marleen October 10, 2018 / 7:17 am

Thanks for the history and for fivedotoh.

• Fandango October 10, 2018 / 8:59 am

Do you have your own blog, Marleen? If not, why not? If so, where is it?

• Marleen October 10, 2018 / 9:53 am

I do not. I know it’s a lot of work to keep up a blog.

• Marleen October 10, 2018 / 9:57 am

Someone else asked me about having a blog not too long ago. It’s the only way one can “like” 🌟 a post, I think. Until now, I have been at blogs that either didn’t do much keeping track of likes or actively didn’t want likes (preferring posts and interaction).

2. rugby843 October 10, 2018 / 7:47 am

Glad you kept writing. Dizzy Dean, hadn’t heard that name in a while : )

3. Sadje October 10, 2018 / 7:55 am

Happy anniversary! Great to be here in the blogosphere for 13 years. I am sure you have a great collection of posts!

• Fandango October 10, 2018 / 9:04 am

I occasionally go back and read a few of my older posts. It’s amazing to me how all of the negative things about politics over this past 13 years have only gotten worse.

• Sadje October 10, 2018 / 9:07 am

Yes, isn’t it strange that when we are thinking that this is the limit, and then something even worse comes up! But let’s be more positive. Things can always be worse!!! 😜

4. cagedunn October 10, 2018 / 1:40 pm

*shakes hand* you made it to the top of the pile, lad – now what?
    And as long as the answer to that does Not involve going into politics, I have reason to keep reading your writes

• Fandango October 10, 2018 / 5:59 pm

No worries. I’ve never gotten the calling to go into politics. But to post about it, that’s another story.