Share Your World — Apples or Oranges

SYW

It’s Monday, and that means it’s time for Melanie’s Share Your World questions. So, here are my answers.

Do you prefer Apple (‘I’ products) or Android for your technology ‘fix’?

I have an iPhone. My wife, son, and daughter each have the Google Pixel 2 XL phone, which is an Android device. I love my iPhone and will likely stick with it, seeing no reason to switch. Of course, I also said that of my BlackBerry device about a decade ago.A02E92B9-B934-46F2-A8E6-25D3FF884464

What’s something on your personal bucket list?

My bucket list has one thing on it: the revival of the American democracy after Trump, one way or another, is no longer president.

What would you name your boat if you had one? The Unsinkable 3? The Please Don’t Sink? Your choice! Also, what would it look like? Do you want a motor yacht, a sailboat, or perhaps a dinghy?

A houseboat named “This, Too, Shall Pass.”

Which fictional character would be the most boring to meet in real life?

A8068BCB-A622-4BBB-AE75-10F0ECC6D810God.

What brought gratitude, a smile or laughter to your life this week?

After the events of this past week, there was not a goddam thing that brought gratitude, a smile, or laughter to my life. Sorry.

13 thoughts on “Share Your World — Apples or Oranges

1. rugby843 October 8, 2018 / 3:13 pm

Again kicking the dead horse, or is it a beehive? Watch out if there’s a lightning storm, I’d hate to lose you! : ))

• Marleen October 8, 2018 / 3:48 pm

Oh my God, RUGBY. [Lol.] I didn’t even notice that at first. I did notice the question, and find it curious (why ask who is most boring, I wondered… and figured I’d come up with something… later). I’m often skipping pictures when I scan because they might be advertisements.

Fun answer to the boat and boat name.

2. Marleen October 8, 2018 / 4:26 pm

Apple

Maybe:
    to work for an architectural firm

I wouldn’t name it, I’d ride in the Stingray…
    except I don’t want to be a puppet…
    so, let’s say a kayak to paddle in Amazonian inlets
    [I still have to think of a name]

Little Nicky

End of last week, I got the plumbing
    hang up sorted out and resolved

3. Melanie B Cee October 8, 2018 / 4:49 pm

Aw, don’t let that orange waste of time BOTHER you so much. He’s bound (as you said yourself) to be murdered or voted out…either option is fine by me. Marilyn (who was the one who brought you to my attention) posted something today that I hope you read…something about that orange asshole ‘ruining our ”golden years” and she made the decision to find whatever joy she can while she still can. I hope you can find something good too sir. Not in the airy-fairy rainbows and unicorn shit stars way, but practically. That orange vomitius mass is robbing you twice if you allow him to bug you IMHO. Don’t stop fighting, ain’t saying THAT at all…just stop allowing that thing to get in your head so much. My two cents.

• Fandango October 8, 2018 / 5:37 pm

Thanks. Good advice. Maybe I can get him out of my head. But I think he’ll always get under my skin.

4. James October 8, 2018 / 6:17 pm

I wasn’t going to respond, even though you took yet another unnecessary shot at Christians and Jews (and probably Muslims), but then I saw something online and thought I’d share.

The question was Which fictional character would be the most boring to meet in real life? and your answer was God, which is fine. However, if I were answering that question, I’d have to insert a real life couple who think that their “A National ‘Stadium Tour'” is going to be interesting to anyone (it won’t). What would Bill and Hillary Clinton have to offer in a nationwide “stadium tour” in 13 cities this Fall?

As an aside, I recall when both Hillary and Barack Obama were competing for the Democratic nomination for President. Clinton was to speak at the university where my daughter was then attending. My daughter is really liberal (of the two children my wife and I raised, two out of three do not share our political beliefs…go figure).

From what I heard of Clinton’s campaign back then, to me, it sounded like her core message was “vote for me because I’m a woman.” That’s it. Frankly, it could have been interpreted as “vote for any woman at all regardless of qualifications.

But I don’t want to be deceived by my own biases, so I phoned my daughter and shared my concerns. My daughter (like my wife) is very outspoken, and has gotten into my face more than once when we disagreed, so I knew I could trust her to be honest with me. I asked if Clinton’s message had any more depth that what I perceived and to my surprise, my daughter said “no.”

So of all the real life people I could possibly encounter who could bore me to tears, I guess it would be the Clintons.

I think we’re even.

Oh, and playing with my grandchildren always makes me smile.

• Fandango October 8, 2018 / 8:09 pm

James, I wasn’t taking a shot at Christians, Jews, or anyone else who believes that God is real. I don’t. So when asked about a FICTIONAL character, I chose God. A personal choice of what I consider to be a fictional character. Nothing you, or anyone else who reads my blog, should be surprised by. I don’t understand why you’re so defensive about the personal opinions and beliefs I express in my posts.

Perhaps, if the question had not specified a boring FICTIONAL character, I would have selected Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell, or Susan Collins. As to your opinion on Hillary and Bill Clinton, I understand your antipathy toward them, although I don’t agree with your assessment. (Shocking, I know.) But I still say that our country would have been better off had Hillary gotten more votes than Donald Trump. Oh wait. She did. About 3 million more.

• James October 9, 2018 / 4:43 am

The 2016 election was an agonizing time for me because I considered both Clinton and Trump totally unacceptable as President. Even standing in line to vote, I was vacillating about who I was supposed to vote for. Then I realized several things. First, I live in Idaho, so chances are the state won’t support Clinton. That led to the second realization that I could either vote libertarian (who, of course, wouldn’t win) or not vote for a President at all. The rest of my selections on the ballot would still be valid.

• Fandango October 9, 2018 / 7:45 am

I was not happy about the choice, either. That said, to me it was a choice between sanity and insanity, competent and incompetent, hinged and unhinged. I chose sanity, competent, and hinged. Unfortunately, the electoral college system went the other way.

5. leigha66 October 14, 2018 / 9:03 pm

Sorry you had a rough week without gratitude, a smile or laughter…I hope things get better!