Friday Fictioneers — Summer Dreams

C6845495-45F4-4A32-8F1B-8CD278C4DD56Erin had dreamed of being a marine biologist when she grew up. Each year, when her family went on vacation to the ocean, Erin would collect coral, sea shells, and driftwood. She’d bring them home with her and lay them out on her special table. She would hand print labels describing each piece, including the date and location where she collected them.

Erin knew that she wouldn’t achieve her dream. The cancer eventually consumed her when she was seventeen, but her special table was a reminder to family and friends of her light and the life that might have been.

(100 words)

Written for Friday Fictioneers from Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. Photo credit: Sandra Crook.

21 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Summer Dreams

1. Sadje October 5, 2018 / 4:27 am

It’s so tragic. But it’s one of the realities of life.

2. Keigh Ahr October 5, 2018 / 11:18 am

The intro drew me in, and the transition to the end flowed well. Not bad for 100 words.

3. elappleby October 5, 2018 / 11:20 am

What a sad tale. I was expecting her to grow up as some kind of scientist, but she ended up not growing up at all.

• Fandango October 5, 2018 / 12:52 pm

I know. If I’d have had more than 100 words, I would have ended it differently.

4. Iain Kelly October 5, 2018 / 3:04 pm

That was depressing. I don’t think the table of memories was enough to give me a sense of hope at the end, but I guess you have to hold on to those little things.

• Fandango October 7, 2018 / 10:45 pm

Thanks. I wish I could have come up with a less sad ending, but when you’re limited to 100 words….

5. michael1148humphris October 9, 2018 / 3:16 pm

Some times the limit on words makes it hard to tell the full story. This story was so sad, but it explains why medical care should be free and why we need to fund research into preventing cancer

• Fandango October 9, 2018 / 4:17 pm

You’re right. We need to find a cure for cancer.