Democrats and Republicans

AE32E48D-A4FD-46E3-BF88-E95FEAD232EBGroucho Marx once said, “All people are born alike — except Republicans and Democrats.”

Unfortunately, what Groucho said decades ago is even more true today. The partisan divide is at an extreme like I have personally never experienced…and I lived through the Vietnam era, when this country was very politically divided.

We all share stereotypical views of those on the other side of the aisle. For example, if someone you’d never met learned that you were a Republican, they would likely assume that you are not black, lesbian, gay, transgender, bisexual, nonreligious, or Jewish. If they learned you were a Democrat, they would likely believe that you are not a white evangelical Christian and you don’t live in a rural part of the county.

Most Democrats are left-leaning, liberal, and are usually associated with progressiveness and equality. Most Republicans are right-leaning, conservative, and are associated with big business, economic freedom, and with self-reliance. But to be fair, “most” doesn’t mean “all.” There are plenty of crossovers, like me, a social liberal and a fiscal conservative.

I consider political party affiliation to be like religion. When babies are born, they have no religion. But they are taught about religion from their parents and most children embrace the religious beliefs of their families and maintain those beliefs into and throughout adulthood.

Similarly, babies are not born either Democratic or Republican. But they will typically embrace and follow the political leanings of their families.

My question is what has happened to moderates within either political party? These days moderates are ridiculed as being either RINOs or DINOs (i.e., Republicans/Democrats In Name Only) and of being disloyal to their party (even when being loyal to their party is being disloyal to their country). Political compromise and a willingness to negotiate with the other side are considered signs of weakness.

It’s a sad state of affairs when the primary purpose of a political party is to do everything it can to stymie the other party, thus effectively blocking the government from getting much of anything done. For anybody.

47 thoughts on “Democrats and Republicans

1. Sadje October 1, 2018 / 5:54 am

Our views should represent us, not the party. So, wrong is wrong no matter who is saying it!

2. James Pyles October 1, 2018 / 6:08 am

It’s a good thing I’m a person and not a stereotype. Then again, I’m not a Republican or a Democrat. There are other choices.

• Fandango October 1, 2018 / 7:23 am

I’m registered as an independent and I vote for the candidate, not the party. And yes, I have, in the past, voted for Republican candidates (Gerald Ford) and for third-party candidates (John Anderson).

3. Marleen October 1, 2018 / 6:50 am

Bernie, Joe (later in life), Jesse, Angus, Bill. (More nationally known.)

4. kenslifesite October 1, 2018 / 7:46 am

Liberalism is especially a religion. It is very cult like because godforbid you even think a little less like everyone else and you get shafted. You can’t even compare conservatism with their evil attitudes. Politics is not a sport, but people treat it as such.

• Fandango October 1, 2018 / 8:15 am

Conservatives are no less cult-like, especially with Trump as the high priest. They (you?) choose to ignore his flaws, indiscretions, and irrationality in favor of blind loyalty to the fearless leader, no matter how unhinged he is. Go ahead and keep drinking the Kool-aid.

• kenslifesite October 1, 2018 / 8:58 am

Ok, so it’s comments like that from liberals that just make me sad because you don’t see it within yourself and your political party. Prime example I can show is how many conservatives are “never Trumpers.” so right there, I can see that we don’t all follow blindly. Not to mention, can you even take a step back from your cult comment and not see that’s how liberals are towards Barack Obama? Were there any liberals or media who even considered trying to find flaws in him? Not to my knowledge. The cult of liberalism is much worse. I do not blindly follow anyone. I have what’s called common sense. I can see for myself who’s policies are working and who’s haven’t. I can talk to people myself and see who has a bit of logic in their head and who doesn’t. But please, you go ahead and keep rioting over an election from 2 years ago and tell me who is more cult-like.

• Marleen October 1, 2018 / 9:08 am

Free speech calling for moderation is rioting, Ken?

• kenslifesite October 1, 2018 / 9:32 am

Huh? moderation in what? No rioting is destroying your own neighborhood because you are upset about an election. Do you remember that? I certainly don’t remember conservatives doing that after Obama was elected, do you? Liberals have proven to be so much more immature this past 2 years than I could have ever imagined. It is just disgusting how evil and mean you get just for political power. No decency or values at all. Look, you’re a liberal, I don’t expect you to even see it, but it is just disgusting.

• Marleen October 1, 2018 / 9:43 am

And there you go. I have lived my whole life as more of a conservative than you can probably imagine. That is unless you think I would have had to be in fact killed by my husband to show my devotion and lack of ability to change.

• kenslifesite October 1, 2018 / 10:07 am

Marleen, I’m sorry. I really still have no idea what you are trying to say.

• Fandango October 1, 2018 / 12:02 pm

Plenty of liberals found fault with Obama, particularly with how he did little to stop the disaster known as Trump or to fight harder for his Supreme Court nominee, Merrick Garland. If you had any common sense and if you cared at all for the future of the American democracy, you’d see for yourself the damage Trump and his puppies in Congress are doing to this country. But, no, you won’t, because Trump could shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue, kiss up to Vladimir Putin, Kim Jong-un, and other autocrats while antagonizing our allies, implement racist immigration policies, roll back environmental protections, etc. and still not lose the support of his lemming-like followers. Trump is the epitome of a cult leader and 80% of Republicans have drunk the Kool-Aid. No doubt you’ll want to counter, but I’d suggest that you not waste any more of either of our time.

• kenslifesite October 2, 2018 / 1:56 am

I hate the phrase “let’s agree to disagree” but let’s do that. Because for you to use one dinky little thing at the end of his term and use that to say “they disagreed with him” is just absurd. I have common sense. If I saw damage I would be upset. But I don’t. I saw plenty of damage in the previous administration. Not just in things like economic numbers, but attitude. attitude about America and just plain ole fashioned decent values. I saw people become so brainwashed they didn’t know how to think for themselves unless Obama or Chris Matthews told them so. Look, it’s two later. All I can tell you is what many of my democratic friends told me when Obama first got elected – he won. get over it. Plus you better get used to it. God help us make this SCOTUS thing backfire on the democrats so badly we forget they are even a political party.

• Fandango October 2, 2018 / 6:11 am

“If I saw damage I would be upset. But I don’t.” Maybe you need to remove the blinders. I don’t want to get into the damage Trump and his Congressional lemmings have caused and are continuing to cause. What’s the point when discussing something with someone whose eyes are closed to reality? So yeah, “let’s just agree to disagree.” I hate the term “whatever,” but whatever. Over and out.

• Marleen October 2, 2018 / 6:34 am

Lol, “plain ole fashioned decent values” — that… Trump has and Obama didn’t. Lol.

• kenslifesite October 2, 2018 / 7:13 am

I didn’t use either name, Ms. “I’m a true conservative”, but in terms of conservatives and democrats, yes. Conservatives will always have more decency than the democrats.

• Fandango October 2, 2018 / 7:14 am

More hypocrisy, you mean.

• Marleen October 2, 2018 / 8:04 am

It’s “decency” in your world (Ken) to pray to God for a sneering liar to be on the Supreme Court. Well, that’s interesting Mr. “I can’t remember the conversation I’m in.”

• kenslifesite October 2, 2018 / 8:20 am

How do you know he is lying, please? What is it about HER testimony that leads you to believe SHE is telling the truth when she says HE did it – when all of her witnesses can’t corroborate her story? How can you believe her? Isn’t possible that someone else attacked her? Especially when 2 people came out and talked to officials saying they may be the ones she is talking about? How can you just believe her story?

• Marleen October 2, 2018 / 10:01 am

I didn’t say he’s a rapist ( or someone who attempted rape or tried to participate in a “devil’s triangle” [although he might be] ); I said he’s a liar. [He didn’t help his credibility by lying.] Additionally, he wanted to point out in the last hearing that lie detector tests aren’t admissible in court (in order to reduce the desire for him to take one), even though he wasn’t in court or a criminal trial (but rather a job interview) — and even though he himself in writings as a judge has upheld lie detector tests for hiring and background checks. If all it takes to be a top judge in the eyes of Republicans is to go to Yale and to not be a rapist, the bar is too low — not to mention the (disingenuous) complaint against elitism being turned on its head.

• kenslifesite October 2, 2018 / 1:28 pm

You don’t even know what he lied about. Seriously, how are you conservative?

• Fandango October 2, 2018 / 2:31 pm

He lied about his drinking and being a sloppy drunk. He lied about the meanings of the devil’s triangle, boof, etc. in his calendar. And even more important, he lied during the earlier hearings about his involvement in receiving stolen emails and his involvement in decisions around using torture. And aside from his definitive lies, his demeanor, his vitriol, anger, disrespect, and partisan political attacks during the last hearing are more than enough to disqualify him from a lifetime seat on the Supreme Court. Open your fucking eyes, man.

• kenslifesite October 2, 2018 / 1:33 pm

You don’t even know what he lied about. Seriously, how are you conservative? Not to mention, you lose all credibility when you say devil is a rape, not drinking game. So please, just stop.

• Fandango October 2, 2018 / 2:33 pm

Do you really think the devil’s triangle is a drinking game? Did you just fall off the turnip truck.

• Marleen October 2, 2018 / 4:20 pm

Ken: Even if the triangle thing doesn’t have to be rape, it’s not consistent with his representation of himself as a virgin for many years and his supposedly not thinking about sex or joking about it (and casting aspersions on a female friend in his yearbook).

And here are some quotations from a male friend of his:

“… but he also downplayed to a great degree the possibility that he could ever not know what was going on.”
              “… there were omissions. There were certainly many times when he could not remember what was going on.”

“… denying the possibility that he ever blacked out from drinking and in downplaying the
              degree and frequency of the drinking, Brett has not told the truth.”

5. Marleen October 1, 2018 / 8:21 am

I’ve never been registered as a Democrat until 2015 — in order to work for Bernie (a registered Independent running for the Democratic nomination). Prior to that (while I voted Republican almost always), I think I was always unaffiliated (which isn’t the same as Independent) except when I was a committee chair for Libertarians (a viewpoint I now think is one of the worst). I’m glad there is now more leaning toward or embracing of being progressive with Ds, rather than neoliberal (Republican, Clinton, and libertarian).

Although I linked to the Constitution Party above, and the article was helpful, they are scary since they hashtag some extremists.

6. Marleen October 1, 2018 / 10:00 am

Ken: Liberalism is especially a religion. It is very cult like …

Fandango: They (you?) choose to ignore [Trump] flaws, indiscretions, and irrationality in favor of blind loyalty to the fearless leader, no matter how unhinged he is. …

Ken said: …. please, you go ahead and keep rioting over an election from 2 years ago and tell me who is more cult-like.

Me: Free speech calling for moderation is rioting, Ken?

Ken: Huh?

And there is the vaunted common sense.

• Marleen October 1, 2018 / 10:14 am

Holy mackarel, Ken.

You said (at your site recently): Do you even understand what you’re upset about in what happened in Charlottesville? Are you upset that people didn’t want a statue removed? …. Did that woman deserve to die? Are you proud of what this guy did because “that will show us white people and us conservatives?” …

Ken, do you even know what is the right side to be on?

Somehow the woman who was a counter-protestor against the neo-Nazis is one of you because she’s white? And that makes liberals bad?

• Marleen October 1, 2018 / 10:17 am

Fandango, would you please help me out and take away the italics from the following paragraph (above)?

• Marleen October 1, 2018 / 12:05 pm

(I accidentally entered another close “b” where I needed a close “i” ending.)

7. Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2018 / 10:53 am

This is the problem with having an extreme leader. It has a way of sweeping moderation off the table. That is what we are seeing.

• Fandango October 1, 2018 / 2:03 pm

Yes we do. Or representatives who know how to compromise.

8. theceaselessreaderwrites October 1, 2018 / 1:50 pm

Amen, Fandango! You already saw my recent post sharing my thoughts on Tailspin. In that book, Brill does an excellent job of explaining what happened to the political moderates and why. I can’t recommend it highly enough!

9. Sight11 October 1, 2018 / 7:23 pm

It’s bad in here, I wonder how bad it really is on the streets and inside the hearts..?

• Fandango October 2, 2018 / 2:23 pm

That’s true, but more so…much more so…on the Republican side, which is effectively a subsidiary of Koch Industries and the NRA.