Open and Shut

8C713F80-9D6B-4EC0-AE93-659195D86805Melanie, over at Sparks From a Combustible Mind has posted a variation of her Share Your World prompt. She’s calling it “An Open Share Your World” that asks many more questions than usual. She also pointed out that the questions might be considered more philosophical than mundane.

So, since I enjoy these Q&A prompts, especially philosophical ones, why not?

Q: What would you say was a normal status for you?

Before the 2016 presidential election, my normal was friendly, easy-going, optimistic, and happy. Since the election, my normal is angry, depressed, frustrated, and cynical. I liked my old normal much better than my new normal.

Q: Is there anything you’ve allowed yourself to do more of which has shifted your experience of yourself?

Blogging

Q: Has aging actually been a bonus rather than a minus for you?

I miss the vigor and excitement of my youth, but I am thoroughly enjoying the leisure of retired life. Or at least I was until the 2016 presidential election.

Q: What does a powercut mean for you, metaphorically or otherwise?

“Powercut”? Is that when the electric company cuts your power when you haven’t paid your bill? Or an extreme haircut? That term honestly means nothing to me, metaphorically of otherwise. But maybe I’ll use it as inspiration for a flash fiction post.

Q: Have you ever thought/felt that you were broken (or had finally fractured after an extended period of too much stress) and that this was actually a good thing?

No. I’ve never felt broken or fractured due to stress. Due to klutziness, though, I’ve had a few broken or fractured bones, but I never thought of that as a good thing.

Q: What’s your favorite subject (or subjective perspective) and why?

I’m really not sure what this means, but I would think that a subjective perspective is one that is not objective. Well, give me any topic that calls for an opinion and I’ll be happy to share with you my subjective perspective. Is this an answer or did I just repeat the question using different words?

Q: What have you recently watched and do you know why you watched it? Did you learn anything from it?

I spent all day yesterday watching the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing. I watched it to see if perhaps a miracle would happen and Republicans and Democrats might conduct themselves in a nonpartisan manner. What I learned is that we are all fucked.

Q: What do you think is meant by a “social must”?

A “social must”? I suppose it means a social obligation, like when your daughter’s husband’s parents invite you over for Thanksgiving dinner and you really don’t want to go but you know that if you don’t go, there will be feelings hurt. If that’s what a “social must” is, then I think a “social must” is a pain in the butt.

Q: Have you ever forced yourself to read a must-read book? Which one and why?

No. I only read books that I want to read, not books that someone else has designated as a “must-read” book. That’s not to say, however, that some of the books that I have read or want to read aren’t also considered by others to be must-read books.

So, there you have it. Any questions?

7 thoughts on “Open and Shut

1. Marilyn Armstrong September 28, 2018 / 7:49 pm

I won’t finish a book I’m not enjoying. I appreciate that Amazon and Audible let you return them if you hate them.

• Fandango September 28, 2018 / 10:41 pm

Sheesh, why do you want me to eat flat bread and lentils so badly?

• Sight11 September 29, 2018 / 1:18 am

Cause you’re my Sensei and I want you to taste it…

2. pensitivity101 September 29, 2018 / 1:16 am

I’ve just finished a book which was a complete letdown in the last two chapters which bounced from Christmas to October to New Year and ‘two weeks ago’ in no specific order. The story wasn’t bad, but I feel I wasted my time!

3. Marleen September 29, 2018 / 7:07 am

Recently watched lots of news… as I’m enthralled with it and always have been. I was raised that way (at least I thought I was), although the constant access is something I’ve allowed myself more of. (Yes broken more than once, woke.)

Favorite subjective perpective: Apostolic Judaism (along with other Judaisms). See marknanos.com — also, I recommend a book by someone else that Mark Nanos has recommended: Galatians Re-Imagined, Brigitte Kahl.

I read “Life of Pi” and “Middle Passage” because they were the things to read at the time. Oh, I also read that grey book… what is that… oh, fifty shades. I’m not a Beauty and the Beast fan, so… ( I didn’t have a clue what the series was when I bought the first book [and decided to wait and see and not to buy the three-books-in-one version thankfully] ). It’s been quite a while since I read “Middle Passage” — maybe I’ll read it again. “Life of Pi” is good, and I have enjoyed the movie more than once. I’ve tried to get through a couple Salman Rushdie books (own a few); one is “Midnight’s Children.” Then Fareed Zakkaria recommended “The Great Indian Novel” (Sashi Tharoor) as the best approach to the classic story; I liked it.

4. Melanie B Cee September 29, 2018 / 12:04 pm

Ooo. I look forward to “power cut” (I still don’t know what the hey that means) as a prompt word. I think that’d be right nifty!! 🙂