Must See TV

BA828CC8-4C13-4277-9734-F91CB29E468EWow. What a day. I’ve been glued to the TV all day. I thought that Christine Blasey Ford came across as a very credible, sincere witness.

Brett Kavanaugh, on the other hand, has bounced back and forth between being a vicious attack dog and a whimpering little puppy. Oh, we’ve also learned how much Brett really, really likes beer.

I’m watching Brett Kavanaugh testify now and it’s pretty clear that he came out with both guns blazing, having taken Donald Trump’s advise to stop being such a choirboy wimp and to defiantly fight back vigorously.

The hearing is not yet over, but I don’t see any movement from either side of the aisle. All of the Republicans remain staunchly supporting Kavanaugh and all of the Democrats remain equally opposed to Kavanaugh. Bottom line, because the Republicans hold the majority on the Judiciary Committee, Kavanaugh’s nomination will make it out of the Committee and be brought before the full Senate, which also has a Republican majority.

So despite questions about his potential sexual assault in high school, despite his having been caught lying before the Senate Judiciary Committee in prior hearings for lower court judgeships, and despite his documented positions on women’s reproductive and abortion rights, Brett Kavanaugh will likely be the newest Supreme Court Justice.

Which, in my opinion, is a sad state of affairs.

14 thoughts on “Must See TV

1. cagedunn September 27, 2018 / 3:07 pm

maybe it really is the time of oligopoly, rulership by [sorry, got censored —]

2. James September 27, 2018 / 4:15 pm

Since I was at work all day, I managed to follow the proceedings via live blog, and in the comments section of my latest commentary on the matter, I’ve updated my viewpoints. I think Ford acquitted herself well, but then she used the extra time between Monday until now (you don’t really think she has a fear of flying) to work with her attorneys to refine her testimony. I don’t blame her. If I had to testify before a bunch of sharks like Congress (both sides of the aisle), I’d do my homework as well.

I know it made her seem credible, but she may have overplayed her hand when she used her psychology research expertise to support why she has such a strong memory of what Kavanaugh did to her after over 30 years. I only have a Masters Degree in Counseling Psychology (and two undergraduate degrees), but looking up the research on trauma victims and memory, such memories do not remain undistorted as Ford suggested. Nevertheless, even if someone in the GOP does the same research, it may not matter at this point.

I have no idea what Kavanaugh’s up to. He should know that everything he said and did damaged his credibility, especially after Ford’s testimony. Losing his cool like that, whether he really did lose his cool or it was just an act (I once had a trial attorney tell me that all such lawyers should major in law and minor in drama), made him look bad.

At this point, my opinion would be to save his family further stress (death threats against his children…really? I thought progressives saw themselves as the good guys, and I have no sympathy for anyone who wages war against children), that he should withdraw.

Of course, that plays into the Democrat’s hands, since there probably wouldn’t be sufficient time for Trump to vet another conservative judge before mid-term elections, but at this point, he can’t win (and one could spin a reasonable scenario that such a tactic was at the core of all this).

In an absolute, factual situation, we’ll never really know what happened to a group of teenagers over 30 years ago, but it doesn’t matter. The decisions are being made across party lines and largely in the court of emotion.

I’ve said before, I prefer a balanced SCOTUS, although every President in my living memory has tired to bias it in his party’s favor. I don’t believe in a SCOTUS that biases only conservative or only liberal. They, like Congress (I know…a joke,,.right?) are supposed to serve all of the American people, not a liberal or conservative subset rather than having us serve them.

This confirmation hearing has been reduced to a farce, and I believe both sides of the aisle have contributed heavily to the three-ring circus. It does convince me that many people fear Kavanaugh, whether for right or wrong. Fearful people are capable of a great deal, and I believe the Republicans and Democrats in congress are very, very afraid.

• Marleen September 28, 2018 / 2:44 am

What Kavanaugh is “up to” is that he’s a contemptuous liar. The Republicans in the Senate saw that he was going down and interrupted the plan of having the hired interviewer speak for them, decided to start putting on outrage themselves to distract from his failure (which was itself a display of outrage to distract from his own failure).

3. baddadcartoons101 September 27, 2018 / 4:21 pm

Maybe not so fast, the republicans have to get 3 of the 4 moderate republican votes and this just might split those 4 votes. This hearing is basically only for 4 people. I think everyone else is committed and could have just stayed home or gone to a movie today!

4. Marleen September 27, 2018 / 6:40 pm

This is the person the President, who says it’s better not to ever drink, wants on the top court. Someone who is so attached to beer (or drinking) that he’s willing to verbally attack senators over it. There are young people incarcerated today because they drank underage — OR because they were of age but included underage people in their drinking environment. And this man who thinks he has a right or entitlement to a seat because he worked his tail off to be first in his class defended such behavior today. Does he not know that of-age people are liable for contributing to the delinquency of minors? Why is he ignorant… or stubborn anyway?

5. Marilyn Armstrong September 27, 2018 / 7:51 pm

We need new pols and some younger ones who maybe have new ideas about what we can do. We also rally OBVIOUSLY need to do some work on what is not quite as perfect a constitution as we thought it was. let’s rewrite the second amendment. Let’s end lifetime supreme court nomination. People live a lot longer than they used to. We need to either eliminate or vastly change the electoral college. We need to create laws about how nominations are made and investigations are conducted. We didn’t have this stuff a few hundred years ago, but we’ve got it now and we need to change, too. Being liberal is all well and good, but it’s not going to solve all the problems or even most of them.

Yeah, we need to get this asshole out of office, but there’s a lot of work to be done and we need to find good people really willing to do it.

• Fandango September 27, 2018 / 10:16 pm

I agree that the constitution could use some revisions to reflect life in America in the 21st century, but good luck getting Congress and 2/3 of the states to do anything to make that happen.

6. Paula Light September 27, 2018 / 9:59 pm

What a farce. This drunken fratboy, this privileged spoiled BRAT, is the only judge Drump could put forth? Ridiculous! There are tons of judges, loads with Ivy League pedigrees, and plenty of conservative ones. Why are the Repubs so dug in about this one guy? It’s ludicrous! He should have been knocked out on his shady finances before it ever got to this gropey crap. He’s the one who embarrassed his own family. But it’s true that the Dems often give their own a pass, like Bill Clinton and Keith Ellison yada yada. Maybe it’s time for women to run things for a few decades until men get sorted out!

• Fandango September 27, 2018 / 10:21 pm

As a man, I have to admit that it might not be a bad idea to have women run things. They certainly can’t do any worse than the men have. By the way, I voted for Hillary.

7. Léa September 27, 2018 / 10:50 pm

Kava-nope! “Me thinks thou dost protest too much”.

8. Sight11 September 27, 2018 / 11:10 pm

I don’t know who’s right, but as told before Trump biggest impact will have to be the partisan mindset in which ‘we’ against ‘them’ has emerged, and I’m talking about both sides of the aisle….

9. pvcann September 28, 2018 / 6:09 am

Hard to believe that this is even possible – he should be disbarred