100 Word Wednesday — Unconditional Love

33411803-4221-4B99-86CD-E58EEA2FC19FHe was my constant companion

Always by my side

He was my comfort and my joy

His love for me was unconditional

As was mine for him

He was loyal to a fault

There was nothing he wouldn’t do for me

Nor anything I wouldn’t do for him

He was my very best friend

Who accepted me as I am

Flaws and all

It was a ten years ago today

When we took our last walk

He lay in the autumn leaves

One final time

Before giving me his last, sad, goodbye look

And I still can’t stop missing him

(100 word)

Written for Bikurgurl’s 100 Word Wednesday prompt. Photo credit: Tereza Hošková.

33 thoughts on “100 Word Wednesday — Unconditional Love

1. Marleen September 26, 2018 / 2:47 pm

Is that really him, in the picture?

2. Marleen September 26, 2018 / 3:00 pm

I’m in the process of having a utility sink installed for washing a dog. I’ve never had a dog in my adult life. I wanted one once, when a chocolate lab ran up to me (and the subcontractors who had brought him said he was looking for a home). I was too busy.

• Fandango September 26, 2018 / 3:18 pm

We had a chocolate Lab and a yellow Lab who were litter mates.

• Marleen September 26, 2018 / 5:21 pm

My oldest son and his wife have two dogs (sisters) when they intended to have one. Only one was listed (wherever they were looking a year or so ago), then when they went to meet the one they saw the other one too. One is black and one is a bit of a mix of browns. I don’t know what kind they are, the “kids” don’t know either — they don’t quite look like what they were said to be.

3. anitashope September 26, 2018 / 5:17 pm

Brought tears to my eyes. There is nothing like the devotion of a dog. They have nothing to lose so they give it all.

• Marleen September 26, 2018 / 5:49 pm

What kind of a big slinky dog is that Anita?

• anitashope September 26, 2018 / 6:38 pm

A great dane. He weight 185 lbs. He was a precious lap dog baby, real gentle giant. Miss him a lot.

4. Marilyn Armstrong September 26, 2018 / 5:47 pm

I still miss dogs that passed 20 years ago and all the dogs since. They never live long enough.

5. Sight11 September 26, 2018 / 7:44 pm

I don’t want to corrupt this comment section with my sense of humour so keeping quite..

• Fandango September 26, 2018 / 10:11 pm

Yes, I’ve had dogs most of my life. And I also have a cat.

• Sadje September 26, 2018 / 10:38 pm

The love the animals have is unconditional and selfless.

6. baddadcartoons101 September 27, 2018 / 2:38 am

Your best post yet. I read it, thought about Bruno, my 13 year old dachhund, and reread your post.

• Fandango September 27, 2018 / 8:58 am

It does touch upon those of us who have dogs and who have lost our beloved pets it the past. They become members of the family and we suffer the same sense of grief when we lose them.

7. Christine Bolton September 28, 2018 / 5:59 am

A beautiful poem about your deep connection with your dog. Your grief is apparent 😢
    I’m sorry for your loss

8. leigha66 October 4, 2018 / 11:26 am

I have had both cats and a dog I will never forget. They find a warm spot in your heart and never do leave it. Beautifully penned!

• Fandango October 4, 2018 / 11:33 am

Thank you, Leigha. We have a cat and a dog, too. They’re our kids now that our human kids are out on their own.