Song Lyric Sunday — In Dreams

Helen Vahdati’s Song Lyric Sunday theme this week is “sleep,” something I probably should be doing right about now. But when I thought about the sleep theme, what came to mind was the Roy Orbison song, “In Dreams.”

Roy Orbison was an incredible singer whose voice could span a range of three octaves, a range that was beyond that of most rock ‘n roll singers at the time. “In Dreams,” composed and sung by Orbison, is an operatic ballad of lost love. The song was released as a single on Monument Records in February 1963, and was the title track on the album In Dreams, released in July of the same year. The single peaked on the Billboard Hot 100 charts at number 7 in 1963.

Typical of many Orbison songs, “In Dreams” is a heartbreaker. He’s asleep at night and that’s the only time he can be with the one he loves, and when he wakes up, she’s gone. Orbison claimed in interviews that the lyrics for this song came to him in a dream. He wrote the music once he woke up.

Here are the song’s lyrics.

A candy-colored clown they call the sandman
Tiptoes to my room every night
Just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper
“Go to sleep. Everything is all right.”

I close my eyes, Then I drift away
Into the magic night. I softly say
A silent prayer like dreamers do.
Then I fall asleep to dream My dreams of you.

In dreams I walk with you. In dreams I talk to you.
In dreams you’re mine. All of the time we’re together
In dreams, In dreams.

But just before the dawn, I awake and find you gone.
I can’t help it, I can’t help it, if I cry.
I remember that you said goodbye.

It’s too bad that all these things,
Can only happen in my dreams
Only in dreams In beautiful dreams.

17 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — In Dreams

• Fandango September 23, 2018 / 7:21 am

He was one of my favorites from back then. What a voice!

1. sandmanjazz September 23, 2018 / 8:38 am

Dean Stockwell lip syncing to the song in Blue Velvet scarred my dreams for a while… Not sure 12 year old me should have been watching David Lynch though….

• Fandango September 23, 2018 / 10:16 am

I actually never saw that movie. Now I’ll have to watch it just to hear the song in the context of the movie.

2. Helen Vahdati September 23, 2018 / 9:20 am

He has such a dreamy voice! I’ve always loved this song. Thanks so much for the reminder!

3. newepicauthor September 23, 2018 / 10:05 am

There is something very operatic about the longing and loneliness in this song.

4. Irene September 23, 2018 / 10:29 am

I remember him from The Travelling Wilburys: Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, and Tom Petty (in strict alphabetical order, because they are/were all great!)

5. Mary B September 23, 2018 / 12:10 pm

I sure do miss Roy! I was listening to the Traveling Wilburys the other day and I wondered what would have become of the group had Roy not died.

~Mary
    Song Lyric Sunday: SLEEP

6. magnoliajem September 23, 2018 / 4:17 pm

Most times when someone says “Roy Orbison,” you think “Crying,” but he was so much more than that one song! This one is just beautiful. Another of my faves is “Only The Lonely.”

• Fandango September 23, 2018 / 6:52 pm

Yes, “Crying” was powerful and showed off his voice. Another song many associate with Orbison is “Pretty Woman.”

7. Sight11 September 23, 2018 / 4:41 pm

The only song I heard of this guy was when Jim recommended Only the Lonely.

• Fandango September 23, 2018 / 6:58 pm

You never heard of “Pretty Woman” or “Crying”? You should listen to him. He had an unbelievable voice.