A Life In Ruins

0B2F934E-FA4D-49E2-BFB8-305EEE2EB749My life is in ruins, he thought.

His life, a life he’d worked so hard to make successful, was, indeed, in ruins. As he drove along the road that skirted the ocean, he couldn’t quite fathom what had led him to this place, this sense of desperation. He was tired. And angry. And, most of all, he was sorry. Sorry for all of those he loved. Sorry for the disappointment he knew they were feeling.

No, it wouldn’t be disappointment. It would be shock. No one could have predicted this. It would be like when they interviewed people on the news who have just found out that their neighbor is a serial killer. “I can’t believe that he could have done such a thing,” they’d say. “He seemed like such a pleasant person. I would never have imagined….”

We all have secrets, he told himself. Some bigger — and badder — than others. But what he did was truly unforgivable. He couldn’t stick around to face the shame and the humiliation. Those he left behind would be better off with him being out of the picture.

And so he got in his car and left, heading where even he did not know.

(200 words)

Written for Sue Spaulding’s Sunday Photo Fiction prompt. Photo credit: Anurag Bakhshi. Also written for the Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Tale Weaver prompt, which is “ruins.”

22 thoughts on “A Life In Ruins

1. theministryofshrawleywalks September 23, 2018 / 10:25 am

Brilliant, I’d just settled down with a glass of wine pre Sunday roast and I want more.
    You must complete this tale
    Have it on my desk by Monday!!

2. Iain Kelly September 23, 2018 / 11:00 am

Like others, would like to read more, what has happened for his life to be this way?

3. James September 23, 2018 / 11:14 am

I don’t know if it was your intention to allude to Brett Kavanaugh, but I could see this story going in that direction.

• Fandango September 23, 2018 / 11:29 am

Actually, the post was totally apolitical. But now that you mention it….

4. Michael September 23, 2018 / 1:50 pm

I thought as I read this your writing is showing great attention to detail in this piece. You explore the protagonist beautifully. Thanks for sharing with Tale Weaver this week.

5. Sight11 September 23, 2018 / 4:54 pm

So why do you always leave us hanging, a “post” Serial-Hanger?(A term invented by yours truly for those who use cliffhangers regularly on their post)

• Fandango September 23, 2018 / 7:01 pm

I want you to use your own imagination to think about what might have happened. I can’t spoon feed you everything, can I?

• Sight11 September 23, 2018 / 9:32 pm

But each has a different version… That’s not right.

• Fandango September 23, 2018 / 10:08 pm

Why is that not right? You can use what I wrote and write your own ending, tie up the lose ends, and finish it up any way you’d like.

• Sight11 September 24, 2018 / 12:22 am

I meant that’s like plagiarism. You’re the author, so I think you should finish it. But that’s just my opinion.. Sorry if I was pushing you Sensei.

• Fandango September 24, 2018 / 7:21 am

You weren’t pushing. It’s just that I write flash fiction, not novels. The idea is to whet the appetite of the reader, to hint or imply a larger, longer story without having to tell the whole thing.

6. Abhijit Ray September 24, 2018 / 2:25 am

What is bothering him? Why give pleasure to people who will be better off without him? May be sometime it is not worth the trouble.

7. ceayr September 25, 2018 / 12:46 am

Excellent piece.
    I hope you ignore the other comments, this stands alone quite superbly.

8. michael1148humphris September 25, 2018 / 2:53 am

A fine piece of writing, which would allow some to write the ending that they would like