The Roulette Table

3EA12377-CC5F-4D12-96CB-47A73F53E41A“You seem a bit anxious,” Jack said. “Is something bothering you?”

No, it’s just that I’ve never seen a casino as posh as this one,” Stephen said. “It’s beautiful.”

“Well, I don’t know that I’d call it posh and beautiful,” Jack said. “More like glitzy and tacky.”

“To me it’s amazing.” Stephen said. “It has a carnival-like atmosphere, doesn’t it?” Then pointing to a section on the other side of the casino floor, he said. “Hey look, a roulette table. Let’s go play.”

“Do you know how to play roulette?” Jack asked.

“I think you bet on a number and when the guy spins the wheel, if your number comes up, you win,” Stephen explained.

They headed to the roulette table and Stephen put his chips on number 18. “Why 18?” Jack asked.

“Because my birthday is January 8th, and so one and eight, or 18,” Stephen said.

“Let’s hope that that will be a fortuitous choice,” Jack said.

When the spinning roulette wheel came to a stop, the little ball had landed on 18, much to the surprise and delight of Jack and Stephen.

However, as is usually the case, the house ended up winning and, after a few hours, the two men left the casino with empty pockets, their brief victory short-lived.

Written for Daily Addictions (anxious), Ragtag Daily Prompt (posh), Word of the Day Challenge (carnival), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (number), Your Daily Word Prompt (fortuitous), and Scott’s Daily Prompt (victory).

16 thoughts on “The Roulette Table

1. Sight11 September 22, 2018 / 7:11 pm

Did you ever gambled Sensei. I know you lost one and afterwards won, but other than that?

• Fandango September 22, 2018 / 10:20 pm

I’ve been to casinos a few times, but I’ve never won (or lost) big. And I used to play in regular poker games, but not very high stakes games.

• Sight11 September 22, 2018 / 10:22 pm

I think you won one big time after you lost by taking the gamble..

2. Laura September 22, 2018 / 7:21 pm

Gambling is one pastime I’ve never been able to enjoy. Too stressful for me. And yes, I accept it sounds crazy that I stress out watching a tiny ball whip around a wheel but there it is…

• Fandango September 22, 2018 / 10:24 pm

On those relatively rare occasions when I go to a casino, I have a set amount of money I’m willing to lose, and once I reach that point, I call it a night. So I don’t stress that much about it, knowing that I won’t lose more than I can afford. And there have been a few occasions on which I actually exited the casino with more than I had when I got there. Too few, unfortunately.

3. Marleen September 22, 2018 / 7:39 pm

Casinos aren’t interesting to me at all, except sometimes in movies as part of a storyline of one kind or another. I do know, though, that they can have good buffets.

• Marleen September 22, 2018 / 9:29 pm

I also hear they’ll give you “free” drinks while you play (play — the word doesn’t seem fitting).

• Fandango September 22, 2018 / 10:33 pm

Yes, but the drinks often taste watered down, and while the drinks are free, you’re expected to tip the person who took your order and brought you the drink. So free?

• Fandango September 22, 2018 / 10:26 pm

I don’t go often, and when I do, I set a limit for how much I’m willing to lose and strictly abide by that limit.

4. Marleen September 23, 2018 / 4:44 am

In the case of Trump running a casino, he goes out of business anyway — bankrupt, in fact.

5. leigha66 September 30, 2018 / 12:04 pm

My boyfriend has an aunt who won a car… I leave with much lighter pockets usually. Good story!