Friday Fictioneers — A Better Idea

1EC7D306-0F61-441E-9E2D-8787E9DCF459“I can’t believe it,” Samantha said. “We’ve been planning this engagement party for weeks. And now, tonight of all nights, they’re calling for heavy rain.”

“Well,” Jason said, “we have those beams suspended from the wire frame that runs from the back of the house to the garage across the patio. Maybe I can run over to Lowe’s and pick up a tarp to drape over them to cover the patio.”

“I’ve got a better idea,” said Samantha. She picked up her phone and tapped at the keypad. “I’m texting everyone to bring all of their umbrellas to the party.”

(100 words)

Written for Rochelle Wisoff-Fields’ Friday Fictioneers prompt. Photo credit: Dale Rogerson.

14 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — A Better Idea

1. Iain Kelly September 21, 2018 / 9:37 am

Good improvisation. A common problem here, the weather never plays ball!

• Fandango September 21, 2018 / 2:09 pm

Do they still make black umbrellas? Oh wait. My umbrella is black.

2. James McEwan September 22, 2018 / 5:13 am

An umbrella party, lets hope no one misunderstands that they are not to wear one. Well keep the underwear on.

3. granonine September 23, 2018 / 3:12 pm

Great solution. I hope everyone got into the spirit of the thing and wore waterproof clothing, too 🙂

4. jillyfunnell September 24, 2018 / 2:13 am

Here in the UK we always have to have a plan B. I’d like to have the tarp as well as the umbrellas.

5. leigha66 September 29, 2018 / 4:40 pm

I love it…but what happens to the “roof” as people leave?