Throwback Thursday — Hangovers and How To Manage Them

When you’ve been blogging for 16 months, as I have, and you’ve published 1,667 posts, as I have, you are bound to have written some posts along the way that you are proud of, but that few people read, fewer people liked, and even fewer commented on.

This post, which I originally published on June 12, 2017, is one such post. This post got six views, three likes, and zero comments. So I thought it might be time to give it another go.

hungoverLet me be clear. I am not suffering from a hangover. I have turned into a teetotaler in my old age. I will occasionally have a beer, very rarely have a cocktail, and never drink wine. So hung over is something I have not been in perhaps decades.

But that does not mean that I didn’t wake up many a morning back in the day drooling on the bathroom floor and with my arms wrapped snugly around the porcelain goddess.

I vividly remember the aching head, the sick-to-my stomach feeling, the dizziness, the thirst, and the general sense of confusion when trying to remember what had happened the night before that landed me in a tight embrace with the toilet.

Who among you has never experienced a hangover? It’s quite common, you know. One study noted that more than 75% of people who’ve consumed alcoholic beverages have experienced a hangover. Many have missed work or school because of their hangovers.

So fess up, you’ve woken up with a hangover, right?

Hangovers have been around and acknowledged since at least biblical times. I know I’m the least likely person to be quoting a verse from the Bible, but, “Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink” (Isaiah 5:11). Woe unto them indeed!

Hair of the dog

Of course, the best advice for not waking up with a hangover is to not drink too much the night before. But, you know, shit happens.

V8 Bloody MaryI was once told that the best way to deal with a hangover is to have a drink, like a Bloody Mary. Especially one made with V8 Bloody Mary mix.

But that is apparently an old wives’ tale. Alcohol may temporarily make you feel better, but it will ultimately dehydrate you and leave you feeling worse later on in the day.

So how should you deal with a hangover? Here is a compilation of suggestions I’ve come up with after an exhaustive search on Google:

• Drink water. After a night of excessive drinking, your body is absolutely parched. Since many of the negative symptoms of alcohol derive from the dehydration of the body, you need to rehydrate. Coconut water or sports drinks, as well as clear, carbonated beverages like ginger ale or Sprite, might also help.
  • Take Advil. Or aspirin. Some sites warn against Tylenol. Tylenol, which is acetaminophen, has been shown to have liver-damaging reactions with alcohol metabolites.
  • Drink caffeinated coffee — or don’t. Some “experts” warn against drinking coffee if you have a hangover. They say coffee further dehydrates you and is acidic. But others suggest that a cuppa Joe helps you to wake up and feel alert. If you are going to drink coffee, though, it might be wise to take some Advil with your coffee. And drink plenty of water as well, since caffeine causes dehydration.
  • Eat toast and crackers. These foods alleviate nausea and help your body soak up the alcohol in your system. Some sites also recommend a combination of bananas and pretzels, since both salt and potassium are electrolytes that hold water to decrease dehydration.
  • Drink tea. Ginger or peppermint teas can reduce nausea and motion sickness. Green tea is also known to be helpful in stimulating key detoxification pathways.
  • Have sex. There is no research that shows that sex will make a hangover go away, but maybe it will make the time go faster and possibly even make you forget about how miserable you’re feeling.

So there you have it, my friends. If you drink, don’t drive. If you drink a lot and wake up the next morning with a horrible hangover, have sex.

You’re welcome.

19 thoughts on “Throwback Thursday — Hangovers and How To Manage Them

1. cagedunn September 20, 2018 / 3:27 am

I’m one of the people in the world who’s never suffered a hangover, but just in case, I might hold onto the final recommendation … whether it works or not! Maybe I should consider it a cure for headaches, general aches, restlessness …

2. pensitivity101 September 20, 2018 / 6:28 am

I’ve never had a hangover either. I was drunk once, at the tender age of 17, and fell through the back door when I opened it. My mother came downstairs, slippers, hair in rollers the works, and had to put me to bed. I was so embarrassed, swore never again and was blessed with not having a hangover the following morning. I have heard that if you drink a pint of water before you go out drinking and another pint of water before you go to bed, hangovers are kept at bay. I have no idea if that works as the alcoholic I lived with had a pint before and after his binge drinking OK, but it wasn’t water! I had no sympathy and dished up the greasiest breakfast I could muster.

3. sandmanjazz September 20, 2018 / 7:01 am

Ha I somehow doubt I could rise to the occasion if I had a hangover… And if I could, what if my stomach decided to return some of the previous evenings drink??? I don’t think that’d go down well…

4. Marleen September 20, 2018 / 8:59 am

I only once drank enough to become nauseous and throw up… so long ago I don’t remember when or where.* (And that really bothers me as I used to remember everything… but my memory is still as good as a lot of younger people, I’ve noticed.) Even then, I didn’t have a hangover. But remarkably, I did have a hangover maybe a year ago. Didn’t throw up though.

* Upon re-reading, I remember a more recent time. So there are two times. And I’ve remembered the other — the first time I “drank” rather than simply having some wine. I don’t remember for sure whether or not I threw up the first time. I became dizzy. The other time was a couple decades ago, and was my experience in others filling my glass (my husband was in on this).

I’ve never hung out by or over a toilet after drinking to throw up as in the picture (although I fell asleep while sitting on the toilet that time I mentioned when I was out with my husband and a few of his cohorts). I remember such a position with having flus. Something to avoid. But that doesn’t mean I don’t have a drink or two here and there. Avoid Tylenol no matter what.

• Marleen September 20, 2018 / 9:17 am

That is, avoid

acetaminophen.

5. Melanie B Cee September 20, 2018 / 12:39 pm

I see the comments section is filling up nicely. In your post you queried if anyone ‘has never had a hangover’ and I’m here to stand up for one who has not. Of course I never was a hard drinker, but I had my times… lots of beer (ew), or margaritas (yumm), but something in my metabolism works differently and those liquids never affected me to the point of hangover. These days, like you, I’m a tee-totaler. And it’s a religious thing. Mormons don’t drink (publicly any way) 😉

6. Marilyn Armstrong September 20, 2018 / 4:32 pm

I am told a lot of B vitamins helps, too. But I have to tell you — EVERY morning feels like the morning after the night before. Maybe I should give up reading in bed. I think the books are killing me.

7. leigha66 September 29, 2018 / 10:36 am

I always got the before hand advice… eat greasy food first to coat your stomach than go out drinking and it will keep you from getting drunk easily.