Did I Tell You About the Time…

…I heard someone I worked with (when I was still working) come up with some strange word usage? It took place during a meeting with a prospective client.

8C5F1821-1E26-4F56-A8CB-35FF53CB3418The speaker was expressing his dismay at some issue that had cropped up during a major system implementation process. That’s when he said, “I can’t phantom how something like this could have happened.” Of course, what he should have said was “I can’t fathom how….”

Later on, the same guy, during the same meeting, said, “I’m not going to dilute myself into thinking that the issue has been satisfactorily addressed.” What he should have said, “I am not going to delude myself….”

The guy wasn’t the smartest bulb in the box.

Written for today’s Ragtag Daily Prompt, “fathom.”

11 thoughts on “Did I Tell You About the Time…

1. James September 17, 2018 / 4:54 am

The Phantom, created by Lee Falk, first appeared in newspapers in February 1936 and new strips are shown daily on the Comics Kingdom website. Still great fun.

2. Sight11 September 17, 2018 / 6:40 am

Is he the same guy which you mentioned in a previous post of not pronouncing actual words…. To use in a given circumstance, you know the post in which you were working?

• Fandango September 17, 2018 / 9:30 am

Yes, same incident. I lifted it from that earlier post because the word prompt was “fathom” and it just fit. Have you committed all of my posts to memory?

• Sight11 September 17, 2018 / 1:37 pm

Nope, I just remember most of them, all of them. Why, you and Jim (and Sandi) are the ones whose every post I read so it’s natural for me to remember them..

• Fandango September 17, 2018 / 1:51 pm

I WRITE my posts and even I don’t remember most of them. If someone comments on a post I wrote two weeks ago, I need to go back and read my original post to put the commenter’s comment in context.

• Sight11 September 17, 2018 / 1:56 pm

So you want me to forget them… And I remember Jim’s too and I tell him too..so I won’t mention it in the future, since I don’t want you to go and read your earlier posts.. And create the hassle..

• Fandango September 17, 2018 / 2:36 pm

No, don’t forget them! I’m impressed with your memory.

3. Marilyn Armstrong September 17, 2018 / 5:43 pm

I know a guy who got hit by a flying beach umbrella and went compost. Had to go to the hospital.