One-Liner Wednesday — Dogs and Fleas

CB66C89D-905D-4789-BFDE-07CE483D175D

“He that lies down with dogs shall rise up with fleas.”

Benjamin Franklin

It is generally agreed that Benjamin Franklin was not literally talking about dogs and fleas. At least I hope he wasn’t. Our dog often sleeps in our bed. So far, we don’t have fleas, but that may be because we treat our dog (and cat) with regular monthly doses of Frontline Plus flea and tick control, which didn’t exist in Ben Franklin’s day.7604A63C-68BB-4E05-B430-5B077EFA0EAFBut I digress. Ben Franklin’s quote is actually a metaphor meaning that one should be cautious about the company he or she keeps.

And this makes me wonder if the people who work with or for Donald Trump understand that one day they, too, will be known by the company they keep. For those who associate with someone with a bad reputation, such as Trump, that association will ultimately lead to their own reputations being sullied.

But as wise, old Ben Franklin said, if you lie down with dogs, you’ll wake up with fleas.

Written for Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt.

15 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — Dogs and Fleas

1. newepicauthor September 12, 2018 / 6:23 am

In my younger days, I did lie down with a few dogs, but I was lucky not to get any flees or something much worse.

2. LindaGHill September 12, 2018 / 7:27 am

People will remember what they want to remember. And when it comes to photographic proof that they were in league with a dog … You see how much it affects the dog presently. It’s all in the eye of the beholder.

3. pensitivity101 September 12, 2018 / 7:55 am

Your post hit home, literally, as after our recent episode with fleas (which I would not wish on anyone) several people, and not just the vet, said that Frontline is not as good as it used to be. This would explain why Maggie was affected for the first time ever in her 13 and a half years. She is now being treated with Stronghold, something similar, but stronger. However, it does not protect her from ticks. We also read that fleas do not like the smell of lavender, so as we have a lavender bush in the garden, I shall be utilising its fragrance indoors.

4. Marilyn Armstrong September 12, 2018 / 11:08 am

Our dogs do NOT have fleas. The amount of money we pay to make sure of that is a big mind boggling. But they do shed, especially the Duke — so maybe it can be said that if you hang out with long-haired dogs, you can count on being covered in hair on waking up. And it’s REALLY hard to get the hair to go away … if ever it does.

• Fandango September 12, 2018 / 1:42 pm

We have a dog with black hair and a cat with black hair and, as a result, our house is constantly full of floating black hair tufts. It pretty much requires daily vacuuming.

5. Melanie B Cee September 12, 2018 / 12:28 pm

No fleas in Utah. It’s too arid or too hot for those nasty little buggers to thrive I hear. And I’m grateful. Doesn’t sound to me like they are anything anybody would welcome, let alone a poor dog or cat. We do have tics here, but only in wooded or really grassy areas, and Ms. Huny never goes in those places…so, she’s only guilty of sharing her fur with me.

6. Laura September 12, 2018 / 5:15 pm

A totally random segue, but your post reminded me of the few times I helped my mom give my childhood cat a bath for fleas. Miserable cat, miserable mom, no doubt miserable fleas. Needless to say I’m ridiculously vigilant about giving my dogs their flea & tick stuff!