Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

CC3B1D3E-1CB4-4B03-8530-F9DEFC2A2DC2Yesterday, James Pyles, my conservative blogging buddy over at Powered By Robots, wrote a post titled, “Five Ridiculously Implausible Things The Progressive Left is Afraid Of.” He described his post as a “tongue-in-cheek (or is it?)” response to an apparently satirical post he read called, “5 Ridiculously Implausible Things The Alt-Right Is Afraid Of.”

Anyway, just for shits and giggles, I thought, as the official representative of progressive thinking on WordPress, I’d offer my responses to James’ list of things progressives are afraid of. Here goes.

1. The World Will Be Controlled By An Oppressive Version of Christianity

No, not the world, just the United States. Christians in America, who make up about 73% of the citizenry, seem to feel like they are being persecuted and are under siege by atheists, agnostics, nones, and other unaffiliated heretics. But evangelicals and other fundamentalist Christians have had their prayers answered and are thanking God for delivering unto them their new savior, Donald J. Trump, who has promised that Christians can, once again, feel free to say “Merry Christmas” to their hearts’ content. Praise be!

2. Extreme Right Wing Government Control of America

I don’t know why James would say that progressives fear this. Is it because Donald Trump’s list of Supreme Court nominees as well as names for other Federal judgeships were provided by the far-right Heritage Foundation and that extremely conservative judges have been appointed at a head-spinning rate? Or is it because the far-right House Freedom Caucus, the House’s most conservative faction, wields enough votes to shape just about any Republican-led legislation? Nah. Nothing to be afraid of.

3. Abortion and Birth Control Will Be Outlawed and Women Will be Forced to Have Sex and Babies Against Their Will

Progressives don’t fear that women will be forced to have sex against their will. Progressive women love to have sex with us very sexy progressive men.

But as to abortions being outlawed, there is some validity to that, especially with the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. Kavanaugh is no fan of Roe v Wade and, if he makes it onto the Court, there’s a very real possibility that Roe v Wade is in jeopardy. As to birth control, Kavanaugh has referred to contraception as “abortion-inducing drugs,” and we already know Kavanaugh’s position on abortion. So other than forcing women to have sex, I gotta give this one to James. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

4. The LGBTQ+ Community Will Be Forced Back Into The Closet

I don’t know what goes on in the closet, but I do know that most Republicans in Congress, especially the more conservative ones, as well as evangelicals and other religious fundamentalists, would be delighted to roll back most of the civil/equal rights gains that the LGBTQ community has achieved over the past half decade. So watch this space.

5. Civil Rights For Immigrants and Minorities Will Be Destroyed And Only White Dudes Will Rule

This is already happening at our southern border, where people seeking asylum in the U.S. are being turned away or arrested, detained, and where children have been separated from their families. And a series of quiet reforms from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services could threaten even more immigrants, many of them here legally, with deportation.

And in North Carolina, ICE and the Department of Justice have gotten a court order for the state to turn over eight years of voter registration records. The request is apparently related to indictments announced in late August, when the DOJ and ICE announced they had charged 19 foreign nationals with voting illegally. So the state is being asked to turn over 15 million documents for examination. Hmm, nothing to see here, right?

But if you’re a white, Christian, conservative dude, no worries, right James?

Merry Christmas.

21 thoughts on “Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

1. James Pyles September 7, 2018 / 8:30 am

Point 1: It’ll never happen, if for no other reason than Christianity isn’t a single unified movement. Also, while there may be fringe churches that would desire this, most Christians try to do good and believe when Jesus returns, he will become the King of the World so they don’t have to take over anything. Believe me, “The Handmaid’s Tale” will never happen.

Point 2: No, I mean extreme as in literal Nazi Germany. The fact that you can express your opinion means we aren’t there. As I said, the pendulum swings so in a few years, it’ll be conservatives complaining about a liberal President again. So it goes.

Point 3: I actually desire a balanced Supreme Court, one made up of an equal number of liberal and conservative justices. Bias the court either way and you end up favoring certain populations over other ones. I’m sure you got a flavor of my feelings about casual abortion from what I wrote, however I do acknowledge that it’s a complex issue that I continue to struggle with (and I’m okay with dynamic struggles).

Point 4: In this case, you can’t put the genie back in the bottle (or closet) once he’s out. By the way, there are Republicans who are also gay, and while Evangelicals and Fundamentalist Christians might want to roll back the calendar, they can’t.

Point 5: No, I mean extreme as in American citizens who are POC not having the right to vote, having separate but equal drinking fountains and toilets (and that occurred during both our lifetimes), lynchings, (Black) church burnings, the “bad old days.” That’s not going to happen. Illegal immigration is complex and I don’t support detaining children and medicating them against their parents’ wishes either. That said, I can’t see the benefit in completely throwing our borders open and having no immigration law at all. Even liberal Canada has strict immigration laws and has detained children.

Bonus point: I don’t celebrate Christmas. My wife is Jewish but that’s not the only reason. I’m also not offended when someone wishes me a “Merry Christmas,” “Happy Chanukah” (We do light the Menorah and play deidel, but that’s largely for the grandchildren), or “Happy Kwanzaa.”

Like I said this morning, I’m not going to let other people tear me down because I’m not the same as they are, and I think you (virtually) know me well enough to tell that I’m not a stereotype.

I’m sorry you’re afraid. I’m sorry other people are as well. Many of them have a good reason to be, including you and me (for different reasons), but if you are a good person and want to do good, then do good. If you want to resist Trump, then resist. No one is stopping you. I know, you’re just one human being like I am, and there’s a limit to what a single person can do, but we can always do something. In Judaism, it’s called “Tikkun Olam” which more or less means “repairing the world.” It can be as simple as picking up a single piece of litter or holding a door open for someone. If we all commit acts of kindness, maybe the world will still be a scary place, but it will also be a little better for what we do when we refuse to let fear run out lives.

A basic reason we get angry is because we exaggerate the importance of things. When we realize that something is trivial and unimportant, we don’t become angry.

Whenever you feel angry about something, try to see how petty the matter is in the big picture. The vast majority of occurrences fall into this category. Keep in mind that we are in this world for a very short time, and the things that upset us are of minor importance in the entire scheme of the universe.

-Rabbi Zelig Pliskin

• rugby843 September 7, 2018 / 8:54 am

If you are a young woman who needs an abortion for any reason, no one, especially men, should be able to say no or yes anytime anywhere. I have lived through the times and seen a lot of horrid behavior in the part of bible toters. They do not follow the basic tenet of loving your fellow man which in my opinion is the golden rule. Treat others like you want to be treated. This is my opinion. Sometimes you seem to state things as if you are stating law, not your opinion. No offense, J.

• James Pyles September 7, 2018 / 8:57 am

None taken. Having worked as a child abuse investigator for social services in California many years ago, I have a tendency to weigh opposing issues in that way. It’s how my mind works, and I can see how other people could be rubbed the wrong way.

• rugby843 September 7, 2018 / 11:01 am

One of the things that is not taken seriously by courts or state systems is that children can abuse parents. What is your take on that?

• James Pyles September 7, 2018 / 12:15 pm

I seriously doubt my three-year-old granddaughter could abuse her Dad, but older kids, such as teens, can be abusive of parents. I stopped being able to “take” my son David in “rassling” when he was 16. Beyond that, there’s elder abuse, but that’s probably not what you’re talking about.

• Marleen September 8, 2018 / 5:15 am

The current nominee was involved in a case where a young woman had legally planned and obtained the money for an abortion, transportaion, scheduling, etc. She had been raped. She was also an immigrant. This administration decided the thing to do was to stand in her way and question her right to indeed follow through.

Abortion is legal. (And many people who are generally against it think a matter of rape pertains to an exception.) For someone in her situation, I think it should be pretty clear to anyone that sooner (in a safe environment with people who really know what they’re doing) is better than later. (This is in part because I don’t see abortion as casual.) But the current Supreme Court nominee, nominated by a darling [Trump] of (gag) the majority of evangelicals, did what he could to delay (apparently with the aim to thwart) her personal agency to effect her decision.

• Marleen September 10, 2018 / 12:01 pm

I have to add that people who want to withhold “planB” from people who need it are pro-abortion (in effect) even if they claim to be against abortion (the alternative being forced childbirth). [Note: planB is different from RU… I forget (486 I think) the full name (which is an abortion pill).]

• Fandango September 7, 2018 / 9:23 am

“I’m sorry you’re afraid.” I’m actually not afraid, though I am concerned. My post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek with a little bit of reality thrown in.

I know your wife is Jewish, but I didn’t know that you don’t celebrate Christmas. So, for when the time comes,Happy Holidays, James! 😊

• James Pyles September 7, 2018 / 9:31 am

Thanks. I think both of our blog posts were tongue-in-cheek with reality thrown into the mix, at least reality as each of us sees it.

• Suze September 7, 2018 / 1:21 pm

I have to say, men and women tend to have a crossed definition about “abortion on demand”. Men tend to see it as “casual” when a woman knows that to get (or not get) an abortion is the most heart-breaking, life altering decision she will ever be forced to make. No one..I repeat..NO ONE sees abortion as contraception. There is the “morning after pill” for that. There are myriad contraceptives on the market and available. Roe V Wade is in extreme danger should the present nominee make it beyond the Congressional arguing. I remember when it was illegal for a woman to make a choice. I remember a good friend nearly losing her life getting an illegal abortion after her uncle raped her. She ended up having to get a hysterectomy at the age of 15 because of that botched job. Women have been treated as lesser beings, and too stupid to make decisions about our own medical care for far too long. We worked to get the changes we have finally received through the laws, and object strenuously when people want us to go backwards.

2. rugby843 September 7, 2018 / 8:55 am

I hope I don’t offend anyone by my opinions, but I do enjoy, so far, the right to express them.

3. Paula Light September 7, 2018 / 10:55 am

I’m not afraid because I’m older and I live in California, where we’re relatively safe from these things. My children will likely be okay too, but who knows. The millions of younger folks who can’t be bothered to vote and will be stuck with a country going backwards will hopefully wake up and get to the polls, even if it’s inconvenient.

• Marleen September 11, 2018 / 5:16 pm

Changes like that going on now are very important. Good article.

4. Sight11 September 7, 2018 / 7:42 pm

Totally unrelated, but you know what’s the worst thing I had to face while talking to a few Americans about well American policies, Are you an American?

• Sight11 September 7, 2018 / 8:01 pm

Yep, does it matter to have an opinion based on your citizenship, such stupidity that it left a bad taste in my mouth..

• Fandango September 7, 2018 / 9:49 pm

They must have been nationalistic, thinking that if you’re not an American, you have no right to express an opinion about America. I understand why that would have left you with a bad taste.