Hero or Coward?

E395097F-9134-4FFC-A427-85D75550FE0C

I’ll be honest. I’m conflicted. The anonymous op-ed section piece in yesterday’s New York Times has caused quite a brouhaha. It was allegedly written by a “senior official in the Trump administration.” And the Times took the unusual step of publishing it anonymously because the author’s “job would be jeopardized by the disclosure” of his or her name.

The first thing that I found a little strange was the timing of its publication — right in the middle of the Senate Judiciary Committee’s hearings on Trump’s highly controversial nominee for the judicial vacancy on the Supreme Court, Brett Kavanaugh. Was the timing intended to distract attention from the extremely important hearings that could have significant ramifications on America’s fabric for decades?

The second thing that struck me was that there was nothing in the essay that we didn’t already know. Between Michael Wolff’s Fire and Fury, published earlier this year, Omarosa Manigault’s insider tell-it-all, Unhinged, and Bob Woodward’s upcoming book, Fear, there seemed little “new news” revealed.

What was the end game of the article’s authors? Was it to reassure Americans that, despite the fact that there is an amoral, childish idiot in the Oval Office, that he (or she), along with other White House insiders, are the “adults in the room” who “are trying to do what’s right even when Donald Trump won’t”?

Or was it to try to persuade Americans that, despite working in a senior role with an amoral, childish idiot of a president, he/she is really a good person who is trying to do right for the people by admitting to working against the President from the inside. And if this senior official feels so strongly about the damage Trump is doing, why doesn’t he/she resign and go public?

So was the op-ed piece in the Times a crucial public service announcement? Was it a distraction designed to turn eyes away from the Kavanaugh hearing and other Trump doings? Or was it a self-serving attempt by someone working for Trump to ask for forgiveness for working for an unhinged, unfit, unqualified moron filling the highest office in the land?

As I said at the beginning of this post, I am conflicted. I can’t decide if the person who wrote the essay is a hero or a coward.

What about you? what do you think?

On a lighter note…DAB55986-D722-4474-BF40-24B56990BBDA

26 thoughts on “Hero or Coward?

1. Marilyn Armstrong September 6, 2018 / 4:11 pm

I’m sort of in the same place. If it was meant to be comforting, it wasn’t. Republicans need to develop a spine.

2. unexpectedincommonhours September 6, 2018 / 4:16 pm

I don’t know what to think either. I just want Republicans to grow spines and join Democrats in beginning impeachment proceedings.

3. XingfuMama September 6, 2018 / 5:05 pm

I’ve been wondering a lot of the same things you expressed in this post, including about whether it is a deliberate attempt to distract from Kavanaugh’s significant short comings.

I also wondered if the person was motivated by the memorials to John McCain, but not very gutsy. I have a feeling that, whether cowardliness or heroism, in the end, we will find that it is self serving. Someone who wants to fill the leadership void when it comes, positioning him or herself to be a hero and claim that they stepped forward when the void occurs, but wanting to stay in power now.

Another possibility: remember that the Difficult Toddler is a “reality TV” star, and those shows are scripted. There is always a possibility that the whole thing is scripted. Yes, I am cynical. I felt like the whole Amorosa thing was scripted to give him racist cred and distract. After a week of McCain getting all the attention it is back on him…and not on Kavanaugh.

Frankly, I wondered why the Times carried it, since it wasn’t new information. That might be because the person is powerful (someone like Pence, who might someday be pres?), they may have felt obliged to do a favor by publishing.

• Fandango September 6, 2018 / 6:42 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if this whole thing was orchestrated, either. In fact, nothing that happens in the Trump world surprises me.

4. Marleen September 6, 2018 / 5:24 pm

What if the autho… no, he can’t write. He could get someone to write.

I don’t know what to make of it either. It really is
    distracting from the hearings, though.

The cartoon is funny.

5. Paula Light September 6, 2018 / 5:26 pm

The question to ask: who benefits from this op-ed? Certainly not Democrats, since we already knew this stuff. Not Republicans who have spoken out against Trump (those few), since they are already called “disloyal” by him. The people in Trump’s circle aren’t benefiting ~ they’re scrambling to kiss his butt and produce loyalty pledges. It appears that the beneficiary is… Trump himself. He’s loving the attention (he didn’t like Brett taking it away) and those public pledges. Keep ‘em coming! He’s in narcissistic heaven!

Who wrote it then? Someone who luvvvs him.

• Marleen September 6, 2018 / 5:57 pm

I tend to agree. Don’t take it at face value.

• Fandango September 6, 2018 / 7:36 pm

You can’t take anything at face value these days.

• Fandango September 6, 2018 / 7:34 pm

“It appears that the beneficiary is… Trump himself.” Ding, ding, ding!

6. baddadcartoons101 September 6, 2018 / 5:30 pm

I guess there is something comforting in knowing the people working around Trump are not all as delusional as Trump and recognize he is an amoral childish idiot. Maybe they’ve just decided to let the President play with his little Twitter while they try to keep the government running…who knows?

7. Suze September 7, 2018 / 5:27 am

At first I thought the writer was doing something good in admitting that the cheeto is a moron, but then I thought about it deeply. It is a horror to me that someone other than the President is making decisions. Not that I WANT the cheeto to do it, but it smacks of a coup, and that is reprehensible to me. If this person (or persons) truely cared about the country and not their own sense of power they would have identified themselves to CONGRESS with a request for the Congress to impeach or approve the 25th and allow Pence to take over. By staying anonymous, they simply are throwing a wrench into the already demented mind of POTUS and placing all of us at risk. We did not vote in those anonymous people into office, and by manipulating POTUS they are violating the Constitution. They or he/she need to come clean and do things correctly. We’ve lost enough of our protections already and don’t need to lose any more to these people.

• Fandango September 7, 2018 / 9:09 am

I have the same concerns. It’s like there’s a bloodless coup going on within the White House and isn’t it a shame that people who work for the President feel they have to do such things to protect the country from his amoral, childish, idiotic behavior.

8. pgraysurvival September 7, 2018 / 8:40 am

If this is Trump’s doing he can never admit it.
    To do so would show up his inadequacies for all to see.
    If there is an author he’s woefully ineffective by not going the whole way.
    After all, why stir the fire if you don’t want see flames burn down the house.

The UK government does this sort of thing the whole time.
    Create a distraction, a crisis, typically something about Russia, to slip through a piece of highly controversial bit of legislation.

Except the Trump administration are infants when it comes to being slick so I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole thing comes crashing down.

That’s when you’ll have your fun.

9. writebrainwidow September 7, 2018 / 1:11 pm

I agree – it’s a tough call. Part of me wants to think he’s a whistleblower who feels he can do more good undercover and the other is that instead of just damn resigning instead of being associated with this despicable administration, he’s complaining behind a smoke screen. I don’t buy the Shaggy ‘Wasn’t me’ shouts from all the toadies. Just like Deep Throat, it took a lifetime for him to admit that he blew the whistle. I do have an odd theory, though. What if there was no ‘one’ high level person but a whole bunch of them under the guise of a single disgruntled senior person. Just a thought.

• Fandango September 7, 2018 / 1:39 pm

I’ve thought about the same thing…that the essay was a group project. Still, don’t “they”…if it was a group…owe it to the country to come out from behind the shadows?

10. theceaselessreaderwrites September 7, 2018 / 1:44 pm

I’m with David Frum, Melania Trump, and others who say that the author(s) have an ethical obligation to come forward and risk their own futures & careers to demand that he be removed because of his unfitness to serve as president. I think the manner in which this op-ed has been handled does more harm than good and that it’s more about providing cover and justification for those who continue to serve in his administration.

• Fandango September 7, 2018 / 3:00 pm

Yeah, I think I agree with you on this perception. The author(s) need to come out from behind the curtain.

11. Léa September 11, 2018 / 1:18 am

The cowards way out or, an attempt to buy time until after mid-terms that Daffy Duck isn’t the lone idiot at the helm…?