Second Thought

3A26712D-DC37-410F-898F-8DF737009622I started writing an entirely different post earlier today. It began this way:

The United States is a tapestry of religious beliefs among its 325 million or so inhabitants. But atheists are still considered to be an anathema to many, if not most, Americans.

But then I got hung up watching the Kavanaugh hearing on TV and had some second thoughts, so I decided to shelve my somewhat circuitous rant about religion, at least for the time being.

Things are already controversial enough right now and there’s no way that our highly partisan senators will be able to reach a consensus when it comes to Trump’s latest Supreme Court nominee. What else is new, right?

So I’m sorry, but I just don’t have the energy to watch those self-serving politicians wrangle over whether or not Brett Kavanaugh would make a good Supreme Court Justice. (He would not.)

Maybe when my blood pressure has settled down and I’m ready to temp fate and stir things up, I’ll finish up my rant about the American religious tapestry.

Written for today’s Word of the Day Challenge, the Ragtag Daily Prompt, Your Daily Word Prompt, Fandango’s One-Word Challenge, Daily Addictions, and Scotts Daily Prompt.

19 thoughts on “Second Thought

1. Sight11 September 4, 2018 / 3:45 pm

I don’t want another Trump saga…hey Sensei meaning to ask you something, what kind of games do you have on your iPhone?

• Fandango September 4, 2018 / 3:49 pm

Not that many games. Several versions of solitaire, Tetris, Monument, Yahtzee. I think that’s about it. What about you?

• Sight11 September 4, 2018 / 6:24 pm

None.. I had Vainglory and Yugioh Duel generation… But deleted those.. after health issues.. So no games for a whole year, I shamelessly admit that I used to waste my time playing those though…

• Fandango September 4, 2018 / 8:08 pm

The only one I play with any regularity is solitaire because it requires no thinking.

2. newepicauthor September 4, 2018 / 3:57 pm

Do you have a way to monitor your blood pressure? I guess you take blood pressure medication as most doctors love prescribing that to their patients.

• Fandango September 4, 2018 / 4:33 pm

I do have a BP monitor, but overall my blood pressure is generally quite good. Typically in the 120/80 range.

3. Renard Moreau September 4, 2018 / 8:08 pm

🙂 I never have second thoughts when it comes to checking out your blog, Fandango!

4. bethanyk September 4, 2018 / 10:25 pm

I was talking to someone earlier about their Hindu religion and found it fascinating. I love when someone shares their thoughts and practices without prejudice and judgment but just says hey this is what I do and if you do different that’s fine by me. I love open minded and non judgmental. Not something you always find in organized …anything!

5. James September 5, 2018 / 4:47 am

So I’m going to take it on the chin again because I’m religious? There is a reason I post a quote from Rabbi Zelig Pliskin on my blog every morning that I’m able.

• Fandango September 5, 2018 / 6:08 am

You are taking my posts way too personally, James. Yes, you are a conservative and you’re religious. And yes, I am a liberal and an atheist. But you are a relatively reasonable conservative and I have no quarrel with your being religious, which is your choice. If I ever get around to posting what I originally wrote yesterday, you’ll see that it doesn’t attack the religious as much as it calls into question the whole foundation of religion. My being skeptical about religion is not a shot at you. I may not agree with what you believe, but I will defend to the death your right to believe it. 😏

• James Pyles September 6, 2018 / 8:09 am

Thanks. It seems all too common these days for religious people to be verbally criticized and even attacked, particularly Christians. However, usually the critics hone in on just a few perceived qualities of Christians, such as those who go door to door to evangelize or how fundamentalists are believed to think of the LBGTQ+ community, and so on. It’s become a little too easy to “knee jerk” a response to words like “religious rant.”

Actually, I had been intending on writing something with the title “Toxic Atheism,” but haven’t done so as yet, and I may well not write it at all. Writing is how I process thoughts and emotions, but it’s not always wise to, metaphorically speaking, wear your heart on your sleeve on the internet. I trust yesterday’s missive about Colin Kaepernick and Nike was close enough to be annoying to some, though I am puzzled as to why you clicked on that blog post’s “like” button.

• Fandango September 6, 2018 / 9:23 am

I clicked on “like” because I liked that you took the time to express your thoughts on the issue, even though I disagree with your perspective. You don’t have to agree with someone in order to appreciate that he or she has given some serious thought to the topic.