Much Ado About Something?

3e2dcff6-7531-4415-b4fa-71abe5f5c444.pngSo I heard for the first time today that putting your fingers in the “okay” sign is not okay. I did not know that. But some people are claiming that the “okay” sign is actual a “white power” sign.F047071F-06F6-46C6-A1FD-E8F3DBEA3CB4I learned this when I was watching the Senate’s hearing on Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court vacancy, Brett Kavanaugh.

There was a woman, Zina Bash, sitting behind Kavanaugh. Bash is a Washington, D.C. attorney who has worked as a Kavanaugh law clerk and prepped him for the hearings. She seen making what appears to be an “okay” sign gesture.

2BBA634F-BA8F-4B4F-A5C8-392F7D0634D5
Screenshot (not a video)

Oh come now. Plenty of people make the “okay” sign. I have and I’m certainly not a white supremacist.

But I did watch a video replay and it appears that Ms. Bash picked up her phone, saw what may have been a text message, and then very deliberately placed her right hand across her left arm, visible to the TV cameras, with her forefinger and thumb connected to make a circle with the other three fingers fully extended. She held the hand gesture for at least 44 seconds.

If that gesture is what some claim to be known around the world as a gesture of white supremacy — something I was blissfully unaware of — she certainly seemed to be doing it intentionally. I don’t know what what message Zina Bash was trying to send, but to my eye, it was definitely deliberate.

You learn something new every day, they say. But there are some things I’d really rather not learn.

12 thoughts on “Much Ado About Something?

1. newepicauthor September 4, 2018 / 8:06 pm

Strangest thing I have heard in a while, but nothing about this hearing is in any way normal.

• newepicauthor September 4, 2018 / 8:15 pm

It is such an important decision that will affect our country for decades and the Republicans are trying to ram this vote through, as it is all about who wins.

• Fandango September 4, 2018 / 8:30 pm

That’s what Lindsey Graham said. If you want to pick Supreme Court justices, you need to win elections. Where was Senator Graham when Mitch McConnell refused to even hold a hearing for Barack Obama’s nominee, Merrick Garland. Barack Obama won the election, didn’t he?

2. Sight11 September 4, 2018 / 9:30 pm

Strange.. Stranger… Strangest.. Just plain weird if you ask me. I’m not white and I did that sign many times. But Sensei I was listening to NPR the other day if Trump continues to fill your country with guys who are in their 30 and 40s this will impact more than a decade if you ask me…

• Fandango September 4, 2018 / 10:01 pm

Brett Kavanaugh is 53. If he gets on the court, he could conceivably be a SCOTUS Justice for 30-40 years. Neil Gorsuch, Trump’s previous pick, is only 49.

• Sight11 September 4, 2018 / 10:51 pm

Yep.. That’s disturbing to say the least.. Just like in the podcast. I don’t know how, but it came together for Republicans, somehow. The timing couldn’t be worse..

3. pgraysurvival September 4, 2018 / 11:36 pm

Two fingers and spin on it are two hand gestures I use.
    Not to proclaim white power though.
    More like me expressing my displeasure and disgust with today’s politicians and their leftie, appeasement, snowflake mentality.

4. James September 5, 2018 / 4:49 am

Freud is supposed to have said, “Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.” So it goes with the “okay” sign.

• Fandango September 5, 2018 / 6:20 am

Yes, I agree. As I said in my post, I am wont to flash the “okay” sign as a gesture of goodwill or acknowledgment or to simply say “okay.” But if you get a chance to see the video of when Bash picked up her phone, read the message, put her phone back down, and the very deliberately made that gesture and held it for close to a minute, I think even you might agree that it wasn’t a cigar.

Your cigar quip reminds me of Grouch Marx on his “You Bet Your Life” TV show. One contestant told Groucho that she had 13 children. Groucho asked her why he had so many kids and she replied, “I love my husband,” to which Groucho said, “I love my cigar, too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while.”

5. Melanie B Cee September 5, 2018 / 8:31 am

Well this was certainly interesting to read, but now I think I’ll go back to my rock and pull it in over me. You’ve touched on why I rarely (read NEVER) watch the news and therefore blissfully go about doing politically incorrect shit all the time. The stupidity is overwhelming out there, isn’t it? And I’m White, but I sure never thought of myself as superior nor powerful. Maybe it’s because I’m a woman? Yeah. *SMH* … okay is now white power. Have the deaf been laughing at us all along?

6. Speaktruth26 September 5, 2018 / 11:03 pm