Song Lyric Sunday — Fun Fun Fun

Helen Vahdati chose the theme “car/cars” for this week’s Song Lyric Sunday prompt. No fewer than six songs popped into my head when I read Helen’s theme, but in the end I decided to go with The Beach Boys and their song, “Fun Fun Fun.”

“Fun Fun Fun” was written by The Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson and Mike Love and was released in 1964 as a single, later appearing on the band’s album Shut Down Volume 2.

The song, which managed to reach number 5 on the Billboard charts, is a classic American song about girls and cars. A rebellious daughter borrows her father’s Ford Thunderbird, claiming she’s going to the library to study. Instead, she uses it to show up other drivers. Her dad eventually finds out and takes his T-Bird back, but she retaliates by running off with someone who fell in love with her after watching her drive.

There were many rumors about the identity of the girl in the song, but Mike Love said, “As far as I know, there was no particular girl that was the inspiration for that song. It was more generic. Because, what kid, when they get their driver’s license, doesn’t want to borrow the family car and go cruisin’ through the hamburger stand, or they say they need to go to the library, but who knows?”

Here are the lyrics to “Fun Fun Fun.”

Well she got her daddy’s car
And she’s cruisin’ through the hamburger stand now
Seems she forgot all about the library
Like she told her old man now
And with the radio blasting
Goes cruising just as fast as she can now

And she’ll have fun fun fun
‘Til her daddy takes the T-Bird away
(Fun fun fun ’til her daddy takes the T-Bird away)

Well the girls can’t stand her
‘Cause she walks, looks, and drives like an ace now
(You walk like an ace now you walk like an ace)
She makes the Indy 500 look like a Roman chariot race now
(You look like an ace now you look like an ace)
A lotta guys try to catch her
But she leads them on a wild goose chase now
(You drive like an ace now you drive like an ace)

And she’ll have fun fun fun
‘Til her daddy takes the T-Bird away
(Fun fun fun ’til her daddy takes the T-Bird away)

Well you knew all along
That your dad was gettin’ wise to you now
(You shouldn’t have lied now you shouldn’t have lied)
And since he took your set of keys
You’ve been thinking that your fun is all through now
(You shouldn’t have lied now you shouldn’t have lied)

But you can come along with me
‘Cause we gotta a lot of things to do now
(You shouldn’t have lied now you shouldn’t have lied)

And we’ll have fun fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away
(Fun fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away)
And we’ll have fun fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away
(Fun fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away)
(fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away)
(fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away)
(fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away)
(fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away)
(fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away)
(fun fun now that daddy took the T-Bird away)

18 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Fun Fun Fun

1. newepicauthor September 2, 2018 / 6:25 am

She must have been driving real fast to make the Indy 500 look like a Roman chariot race.

2. Marleen September 2, 2018 / 7:33 am

NIN: “Cars” with Gary Numan, London 7.15.09 [HD]

• Fandango September 2, 2018 / 8:15 am

Thanks. I never heard that before.

3. Paula Light September 2, 2018 / 7:55 am

Love that song (and Cars above). My dad gave me the use of a car and a gas credit card when I got my license at 16. I went to “the library” a lot. Several months later he set me down for a big talk about the price of gas, which had apparently rocketed to 80 cents! 😱

• Fandango September 2, 2018 / 8:24 am

Ah, yes. The “library” was quite a popular place for hormonal teens to go, back in the day.

4. John Holton September 2, 2018 / 9:01 am

I have fond memories of this one: One of the few concerts I’ve been to was in 1975, when The Beach Boys toured with Chicago. At the end they all got on the stage and played this one. It was fun hearing Terry Kath playing the opening lick (which you might notice is the same lick that about half of Chuck Berry’s songs start with).

• Fandango September 2, 2018 / 9:35 am

I’ve seen both The Beach Boys and Chicago in concerts, but not together. I’m sure that was unforgettable.

5. Marleen September 2, 2018 / 12:54 pm

I’ve seen NIN, but I would like to have seen Chicago when “Saturday in the Park” was new.

• Marleen September 2, 2018 / 2:18 pm

It would always be great to be a beach boy or girl or sing or dance or what have you with Beach Boys.

6. scr4pl80 September 2, 2018 / 3:26 pm

I like the Beach Boys but have never seen them live. I use their music to help me clean house!

7. leigha66 September 10, 2018 / 5:13 pm

Growing up we would listen to Endless Summer by The Beach Boys over and over again! Great song!