SoCS — Round and Round

When I saw Linda G. Hill’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, which is to “use the word ‘round’ as a word by itself or find a word that contains it,” the first thing that came to mind was “a round tuit,” as in “I’ll get around to it.” But then I realized that I already wrote a post about round tuits. In fact, that post, which you can read here, was written for one of Linda’s One-Liner Wednesday prompts. So there goes that idea.

The next thing that came to mind was the saying, “What goes around comes around.” But guess what? I wrote this post for a Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Tale Weaver prompt. Sheesh! Another idea down the drain.

So now what? Think, Fandango. Oh wait, I got it! And I bet only those of you out there who are as old as I am will relate to my SoCS response to the word “round.” Are you ready?

Do any of you remember that mellow crooner, Perry Como? C5816E15-CFDA-4D75-92A1-D2E236B05F2CHe was an American singer and television personality whose career spanned nearly half a century, from the late 1930s through the mid 1970s.

So why am I bringing up Perry Como? Well, it’s because in 1957, Perry Como had a huge hit with a record titled “Round and Round.” The song was written by Joe Shapiro and Lou Stallman and published in 1956. Como’s rendition was a big hit in 1957, proving to be his last over-all number one song on the Billboard charts.

Here are the lyrics to that very simple, delightfully upbeat song:

Find a wheel and it goes round, round, round
As it skims along with a happy sound
As it goes along the ground, ground, ground
Till it leads you to the one you love

Then your love will hold you round, round, round
In your heart’s a song with a brand new sound
And your head goes spinning round, round, round
’cause you’ve found what you’ve been dreamin’ of

In the night you see the oval moon
Going round and round in tune
And the ball of sun in the day
Makes a girl and boy wanna say

Find a ring and put it round, round, round
And with ties so strong that two hearts are bound
Put it on the one you’ve found, found, found
For you know that this is really love

Find a wheel and it goes round, round, round
As it skims along with a happy sound
As it goes along the ground, ground, ground
Till it leads you to the one you love

Then your love, you’ll hold her round, round, round
In your heart’s a song with a brand new sound
And your head goes spinning round, round, round
’cause you’ve found what you’ve been dreamin’ of

In the night you see the oval moon
Going round and round in tune
And the ball of sun in the day
Makes a girl and boy wanna say

Find a ring and put it round, round, round
And with ties so strong your two hearts are bound
Put it on the one you’ve found, found, found
For you know that this is really love

Find a ring, put it on
For you know that this is really love, really love,
Really love

14 thoughts on “SoCS — Round and Round

1. J-Dub September 1, 2018 / 5:38 am

Who knew round could inspire so many posts with song references today. Nice one!

2. Laura September 1, 2018 / 5:41 am

You win the prize for most round ideas! I do especially love to round tuit.

• Fandango September 1, 2018 / 9:47 am

Just okay? It’s such a sweet, mellow, light song, especially the way Perry Como sang it.

• Marleen September 2, 2018 / 9:06 am

It was my dad’s music too, but I see that as a good thing. I also like it. My dad said it was sad when Elvis Presley came in and changed things. But he wasn’t stuck in time; he liked music such as Deep Purple and Joe Cocker and much more.

3. Marilyn Armstrong September 1, 2018 / 9:04 am

Reblogged this on Serendipity – Seeking Intelligent Life on Earth and commented:
    Can two minds thing MORE alike? I remember this song because I had it on a 45 RPM. Remember them? I had a little record player and a pile of records in every color of the spectrum. I always like Perry Como, though I never understood how come he could sing with his teeth apparently clenched.

• Fandango September 1, 2018 / 10:41 am

Thanks for the reblog, Marilyn. I always remember how Perry Como always seemed so mellow when he sang. Great songs, but mostly sung without much passion or emotion.

4. John Holton September 1, 2018 / 9:25 am

1957 was the year Billboard consolidated all their Pop charts into the Hot 100, which is probably why it was Perry Como’s last big hit.

• Marleen September 2, 2018 / 9:07 am

That’s an interesting detail.

5. leigha66 September 9, 2018 / 11:10 am

I remember we had one of his Christmas albums and I think we watched a TV special or two. Don’t recall this song though. Good post!