#writephoto — The Apparition

549D5FE6-461F-4A4B-AB7D-9A517CA9C204Sean came back to this site every year since the incident five years earlier. As it was almost every time he came here for that auspicious anniversary, there was a thick mist hanging in the air. He stared at the point where he had last seen her and tears of regret filled his eyes.

His last view of Wendy was etched into his brain. She had walked to the land’s edge and was staring down at the waves crashing into the rocks far below. “Be careful, hon,” he remembered calling out to her. “Don’t get so close to the precipice.” And then she was gone.

I can’t believe how oblivious I was, Sean thought. I totally missed all of the signs. Her sister had warned Sean that something was wrong, but Sean thought her sister was a drama queen and was seeing things that weren’t there. But her sister was right all along. Clearly Wendy was suffering from a serious depression and Sean, preoccupied by his own issues, was distracted.

Sean heard a voice calling his name. It was Wendy’s voice, calling him to come over to her. He looked toward the edge of the bluff and saw Wendy standing there in the thick mist, looking down at the water far below. “Sean,” he heard her say. “Sean, come to me, come be with me.”

In a trance-like state, Sean walked toward Wendy. As he approached the cliff’s edge, Wendy was gone. Sean moved cautiously toward the edge and he heard Wendy’s voice calling him from below. He peered over the edge and saw her standing in the surf. “Come to me,” he heard her say to him. “Come be with me for eternity.”

Written for Sure Vincent’s Thursday Photo Prompt.

21 thoughts on “#writephoto — The Apparition

1. Hélène Vaillant August 30, 2018 / 3:29 pm

Great use of the prompt Fandango. It reads like a true story. Well done.

• Fandango August 30, 2018 / 3:34 pm

Thanks, Hélène. It’s a sad tale, and perhaps for some, a reflection of their reality.

2. newepicauthor August 30, 2018 / 5:30 pm

It must be so difficult composing all of your posts on your phone. I am not sure if you want to fix this or not, “saw Wendy sanding there” should probably be “saw Wendy standing there”.

• Sight11 August 30, 2018 / 8:01 pm

Sensei’s phone gets high like Sensei, so don’t worry Jim.

• Fandango August 30, 2018 / 8:19 pm

Thanks. I did fix it. And yes, posting on my iPhone has its challenges, but apparently so do my proofreading skills…or lack thereof.

3. deborahsdeliberations August 31, 2018 / 11:00 am

Haunting and heartbreaking story. It reminds me of Cathy and Heathcliff when they walked off together in the moors.

• Fandango August 31, 2018 / 1:49 pm

Yes, I sort of loosely envisioned something like that when I wrote this.

• Fandango September 2, 2018 / 8:09 am

As always, Sue, thanks for the reblog!

• Fandango September 2, 2018 / 8:27 am

Thanks, Lyn. Stick around and I’ll try to deliver more!

4. leigha66 September 8, 2018 / 3:36 pm

Does he join her or just return every so often? Nice post!