And Then Along Came Digital

EDCC4042-FD7B-47A4-834B-5F7077CBF1E6When I woke up this morning and I saw that my one-word prompt for today was “develop,” I decided to teleport myself back a few decades to when film ruled the world of photography.

You remember those days of having to load your camera with film, taking your pictures, and then having to drop off your exposed film at one of those once ubiquitous Fotomat kiosks for “finishing,” right? You’d have to suffer through the 24 hour “incubation” period before you could see the results of you photographic prowess.

How exciting it was to drive up to the Fotomat kiosk, pay the pimply-faced teenager sitting in the booth for your packet of photos, tear into the envelope, and view your handiwork.

And then you’d see something unexpected in one or more of the photos. Someone turned away from the camera at the last second. Or the whole image was blurry because you moved the camera when you pressed the shutter button. Or one of the rolls of film from your vacation somehow got exposed to light and all the pictures on that roll were ruined. Oh, if you could only reverse time and take some of those otherwise great pictures all over again.

And then along came digital photography, turning Fotomats into vestigial artifacts of a time forever gone.

I’m doing something a little different this time. Instead of listing the six one-word prompts used in this post below the story, I’ve bolded the words within in the story above. Let me know if you prefer the list or if it’s easier to see the prompt words bolded within the post itself.

9 thoughts on “And Then Along Came Digital

1. pensitivity101 August 30, 2018 / 9:28 am

When I do the wordle challenges, I find it easier to bold the words, though I list them too, so guess it’s personal preference.

2. Paula Light August 30, 2018 / 11:08 am

I prefer them embedded, though I guess it’s easier to see where they came from when they’re listed underneath. But that offends my dictate of “less clutter.” However that really only applies to myself. 🤷‍♀️

3. Marilyn Armstrong August 30, 2018 / 5:48 pm

Unless the words naturally fit together, I’d rather do one or two (max) because it just sounds forced. Also, it’s not fun. The whole POINT of the challenge was to come up with creative ideas based on the word of the day. This is more like a puzzle: how can I fit as many words as possible into one short post? I do yours or RDP and sometimes, the weekly one, but that’s it. I know there are a lot more and I appreciate the effort, but I’m not going to start blogging to match the challenges unless I like the challenges. Does that make sense to you?

We are not going to make everyone happy and if we don’t make ourselves happy, then what is the point?

• Fandango August 30, 2018 / 8:30 pm

Yes, it makes sense. And that my posts may sound forced by trying to fit in five or six prompts is a worry. That’s why I had such a negative reaction when the prompts the other day included “oeuvre,” “parsimonious,” and “fugacious.” How can you write a post that doesn’t sound contrived using such words?

4. Sight11 August 30, 2018 / 7:52 pm

It seems a continuous flow, so you should go with what you think works for you, Sensei.

5. Cara Hartley August 30, 2018 / 11:31 pm

I certainly don’t mind when people bold their words in their flash fics. It helps keep track, I think. I used to do it, but one reader was so nonplussed by it when deciding to tear apart something I’ve written that I stopped doing it to avoid that reaction from anyone else. I never had such a reaction before, so sometimes I think I may be too sensitive.
    I remember One Hour Photo type places. I’m honestly grateful for digital. Its allowed me to be much freer with my photography.

6. leigha66 September 8, 2018 / 1:06 pm

So many factors went into a good picture back in those days. Digital is much easier, but I do still miss the surprise factor of opening that photo envelope. I don’t mind the bold or lists with your prompts… I would say which ever is easier for you.