SoCS — Did You Notice?

Did you notice that I didn’t win Linda’s annual Stream of Consciousness Saturday badge contest? I know. Hard to believe, right. It turns out that my design came in fourth (out of ten).

But that’s okay because the winning badge, designed by Pamela, at A Chronicle of Hope, won. And her design was built around an actual water-based stream, whereas mine was based upon a stream of wispy clouds. So Pamela’s badge design was much more apropos for the prompt. Here it is. It’s really well done.8D53F4D3-B456-461F-BFAD-41536450817BSo congratulations, Pamela, on your big win.

On an entirely different topic, did you notice that ever since WordPress dropped its daily one-word prompt at the end of May, a bunch of bloggers, me included, started posting daily, one-word prompts? So now, instead of writing one post in response to each day’s WordPress one-word prompt, there are six or more one-word prompts to respond to.

But I just don’t have the bandwidth to compose and publish a separate post for each such one-word prompt. So I’ve taken to combining a bunch of them into a single post each day. I’ve been trying to weave somewhere between four and six daily word prompts into relatively short posts over the past couple of weeks.

I was even able to squeeze six prompts into a one-sentence post this past Wednesday. And just yesterday I fit eight prompts into a single post, although only six were one-word prompts and two were writing prompts.

I’m not sure how sustainable this multi-prompt approach is. So far I think my multi-prompt posts have hung together fairly well, but I’m concerned that they may start sounding forced or contrived and I sometimes wonder if the quality of my posts, by trying to cram multiple one-word prompts into single posts, will start to suffer.

Oh well, I’m just sort of thinking out loud, which means that you may notice that I have done my job in responding to Linda’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, where we are asked to use the word “notice.”

21 thoughts on “SoCS — Did You Notice?

1. cagedunn August 25, 2018 / 3:33 am

you could always find a way to make a proper prompt into a ‘well, it’s close enough’ in meaning word … I would

2. pensitivity101 August 25, 2018 / 5:05 am

I do yours but not usually any of the others that have replaced it, though I do try to do Teresa’s 3TC.
    Did notice a little typo in your last paragraph, think your ‘load’ should be loud. 🙂

• Fandango August 25, 2018 / 7:59 am

Oops. Thanks for pointing that out. I wish I could blame autocorrect, but it’s more likely because I was in bed late last night, writing that post on my iPhone and just mistyped it.

• pensitivity101 August 25, 2018 / 9:19 am

The autocorrect probably accepted it because it’s a correct word. I know what you men about trying to do a post when you’re tired………….

• newepicauthor August 25, 2018 / 9:30 am

I am not trying to be hurtful, but you corrected a typo on Fandango’s post and then you said,”I know what you men’, where I think that you meant to say, “I know what you mean”. Please don’t take this the wrong way.

• pensitivity101 August 25, 2018 / 9:34 am

haha! Good spot! I’m having serious problems with my keyboard vowels not registering at the moment. I usually spot them, but this one slipped by me.

3. ellenbest24 August 25, 2018 / 5:50 am

I noticed 😂😃 have no tears about not winning the badge competition as there is always someone who lost further down than you. My self, I was joint last with the lovely Ritu but we had fun giving it a go.

4. Paula Light August 25, 2018 / 6:19 am

What’s interesting is that the end of The One Prompt and The Rise of the Many happened around the same time as my laptop died and I quit working on my Real Writing. Of course I needed to fill the space, so I began blogging like mad (for me) on my phone and the Many helped a lot. I find I gravitate to one or two per day in separate poasts, though I admire the stories where a bunch are integrated.

5. Marleen August 25, 2018 / 6:45 am

Since we’re considering a stream of consciousness (and not necessarily a theme), did you notice (or has anyone mentioned) that your eyes look like blueberries at the top of your blog? But back to the contest, there were a few wonderful nature pictures (including the one that won). I debated between that route and the rainbow graphic. Since I’ve never participated, though (in the writing), it could be said it wasn’t for me. But, as I said, it was fun.

• Fandango August 25, 2018 / 9:03 am

You are, indeed, the first to mention that my eyes look like blueberries.

6. Laura August 25, 2018 / 8:21 am

Combining that many prompts is certainly ambitious — I’m impressed you manage to juggle that much input and still write. I think my brain might freeze up!

7. newepicauthor August 25, 2018 / 9:32 am

Congratulations on your fourth place finish and I know that you are happy ending up in front of me.

8. Melanie B Cee August 25, 2018 / 9:58 am

You got 4th, I came as a tie at 7th with John. Ah well. Always next year, yes? 😉

• Marleen August 25, 2018 / 12:30 pm

Oh, yeah… the bit stream concept was a good one too.

9. Marilyn Armstrong August 25, 2018 / 1:58 pm

Today was one of those rare days when the prompts actually prompted a story that I didn’t have in mind before and was completely off the cuff. It has been a LONG time since i even though about that time in history.

I think, though, that we are ALL going to have to relax and not try responding to everyone.,

We can’t.

What we lack is the ONE thing WP had: breadth. One prompt went to everyone whereas our littler prompts go to whoever follows and also reads. We are going to have to pick one or two and do that and not try to do everything because this will drive us nuts. I want to answer everyone, but I can’t. I KNOW I can’t.

10. Sight11 August 25, 2018 / 8:03 pm

I voted for Jim’s one. Well so you have your own prompt, with your personal avatar… So you can have your own badge, you already have a hash tag by the way, #JFSS….

11. leigha66 September 1, 2018 / 12:55 pm

I think I would be overwhelmed trying to fit so many prompts in one post… you make it look easy. Right now one is more than enough for me. Maybe someday I will branch out and try another.