My Hygiene Hijinks Answers

Man taking a showerYesterday I posted “Hygiene Hijinks” in which I posed a series of intrusive questions about personal hygiene habits. One of the astute readers of that post, Melanie at Sparks from a Combustible Mind, commented, “Now where are YOUR answers, sir? I notice you left that part out.” Fair enough. Here are my answers.

I prefer showers. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I took a bath.

I shower every other day, unless I do something physically strenuous and/or sweat a lot, in which case I shower daily or possibly even more than once a day. The good news is that I’m an old man, so I rarely do anything strenuous. And I live in San Francisco, where it’s almost never hot enough to cause me to sweat.

I brush my teeth twice a day, once when I first get up in the morning and once right before I go to bed at night.

I wash my hair every time I take a shower. Well, to be more precise, since I’m mostly bald, I wash my head every time I shower.

I pretty much wash my hands every time after I go to the bathroom.

I wash my hands before eating when I remember to (or when my wife reminds me to, which is more often than when I remember to on my own).

I put on clean underwear every day, even on those days when I don’t take a shower.

I wear jeans maybe three or four straight days before washing them. As to shirts, I may wear them two or three times before tossing them in the hamper.

I have a neatly trimmed beard, but I shave my neck below my beard line two or three times a week. I don’t shave my armpits, legs, or any other parts of my body…ever.

I weigh myself whenever my wife gets worried that our cat is losing weight. She asks me to get on the scale to weigh myself and then hands me the cat to see how much I weigh when I’m holding the cat. Our cat weighs 11.8 pounds.

14 thoughts on “My Hygiene Hijinks Answers

1. Marleen August 24, 2018 / 9:25 am

Okay, that’s funny… that you weigh yourself for the cat’s sake (or for your wife’s sake).

Oh. And… I never shave my face, or neck.

Is shaving your neck below the breadline like brushing teeth in strange places?

• Fandango August 24, 2018 / 9:28 am

Oops. Should have been below the *beard* line. Ha! There’s a breadline in my bathroom. 😱

2. Marleen August 24, 2018 / 9:46 am

One of my sons discovered (and told me), when he switched to middle school from homeschooling, that most of the kids (at least boys) don’t wash their hands in the bathroom. This might be a good reason to wash one’s hands every time before eating.

3. Melanie B Cee August 24, 2018 / 10:13 am

Very nice. Bread line? Isn’t that the situation in one bathroom, multiple people house holds? One may have to queue up to use the facilities. A reason this house has TWO of them (although there’s only one of me in the house). That and I don’t like people poking about in my non-existent medicine cabinet (this house has no medicine cabinets. which is odd. Don’t modern houses have and modern families need a medicine cabinet?) I’ve been forced to use a shelf in a closet. That whole medicine cabinet thing might provide you with future blog fodder. You seem a bit fond of asking questions of that nature. 🙂 And you live in San Francisco? Wow. You’ve inadvertently shared a bit of knowledge about your fine self that perhaps you didn’t mean to…the status of your wallet or bank account. I understand that it costs more than I’ll ever see in my entire lifetime to live there. Lucky you! I love San Francisco. It’s where I SHOULD have spent my life.

• Fandango August 24, 2018 / 10:50 am

San Francisco is expensive. Fortunately, I made some decent investments back in the day (i.e., got lucky), which enables me to afford to live in this fine city. None of our three bathrooms had medicine cabinets, although I did buy and install one in our master bathroom.

• Melanie B Cee August 24, 2018 / 11:58 am

I remain jealous. Are you in a ‘painted lady’ there? Nob Hill? I’m not trying to pry into your private life, I just know those two things ‘about’ San Francisco…well I know about the wharf, the cable cars, the fog and the chocolate….as I said. *sigh* I came to San Francisco in the late 90s with hubby. He was delivering something in his rig to California, and we made a day trip to San Francisco. Rode over the Golden Gate bridge in his truck. The view from up there was spectacular, but we parked in the other side of the bay and rode B.A.R.T. over and walked around. I could do that in those days. I fell in love with the city immediately and had a feeling of coming home I’ve never found anywhere else. Perhaps in another life I lived in San Francisco. The temperatures are PERFECT…

• Fandango August 24, 2018 / 12:05 pm

No “painted lady” and not Nob Hill. Close to Golden Gate Park, actually. It is a beautiful city.

4. JT Twissel August 24, 2018 / 10:29 am

I feel like I can now pick you out in a crowd. You’re that clean guy in SF who has a beard. (I live in the hills above Berkeley but I’m not as clean as you – dry skin don’t take well to everyday bathing)

5. Michael August 24, 2018 / 5:47 pm

You weigh the cat? I think as we age find reasons not to shower everyday….you are right some days we don’t sweat, but I know in summer here, I shower everyday….humidity adds to one’s body odour.

• Fandango August 24, 2018 / 7:06 pm

As Will Rogers (or was it Mark Twain?) allegedly said, “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.”

6. Marilyn Armstrong August 24, 2018 / 6:44 pm

Sensible answers. When I garden, I shower more often and sometimes, there are not enough showers to get the dirt out from between my toes and fingernails. I should stop wearing sandals when I garden.

• Fandango August 24, 2018 / 8:19 pm

I don’t think so. It’s been maybe four months since she last posted anything.