Friday Fictioneers — The Festival

F9E39B9C-E892-470D-980B-FF4B539E28CBThe Light Up the Lake festival was the highlight of the summer for the townspeople. Nearly everyone in the community would construct a small, handheld, floating craft that held a candle. They’d light the candles and set their crafts on the water and let them float out onto the lake.

It started out small many years ago when the then-mayor came up with the idea. But on this, the 25th anniversary of the first Light Up the Lake event, it was a sight to behold, as the tiny, candlelit crafts nearly filled the entire surface of the lake.

Truly beautiful.

(100 words)

Written for the Friday Fictioneers prompt from Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. Photo credit: Carla Bicomong.

18 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — The Festival

1. prior.. August 24, 2018 / 5:04 am

Enjoyed what could be the history of this event – so realistic – and the “sight to be hold” had a sense of awe with it

2. Marleen August 24, 2018 / 10:36 am

This is reminding me of being somewhere on a beach for Fourth of July, many moons ago. I’m feeling homesick (although it wasn’t home — it was a very long road trip). Trying to remember exactly where it was. I’m thinking san diego, but also marina del rey, and those aren’t anything like the same (other than the state) on a map. If I ever have grandchildren, I’ll teach them to have some form of a scrap book, not just random pictures.

• Fandango August 24, 2018 / 10:54 am

Good question. If I didn’t have a 100 word limit, I might have delved into that.

3. granonine August 24, 2018 / 6:34 pm

I would like to know the WHY. It’s just my inquiring mind 🙂

4. Sight11 August 24, 2018 / 7:37 pm

Well I would rather sit and play games and read a newspaper rather than going to a crowded place, but that’s just me…

5. 4963andypop August 25, 2018 / 2:36 pm

You did a good job of describing the process of this event and its exponential growth. It would be interesting to know what propelled the mayor to start it in the first place.

6. jillyfunnell August 26, 2018 / 5:12 am

I am wondering whether this ceremony is for use or beauty? Intriguing story.