Share Your World — Olives, Rooms, and Fictional Families

Cee Neuner always asks interesting questions in her weekly Share Your World prompt. I only wish my answers were, too.

Which tastes better: black or green olives?

Olives. Meh. Take ‘em or leave ‘em. That said, when I must eat olives, usually in a martini or a Bloody Mary, I prefer the green ones with the red pimientos, whatever they are, in the center.

What’s your favorite room in your home?

This is a tough one. It’s a toss up between the kitchen, the bedroom, and the bathroom. Let’s see. I love the kitchen because that’s where the food is. And I need food to survive. And I love the bedroom because that’s where I sleep (and, well, you know) and I need sleep to survive. And if you eat and sleep, a bathroom is a necessity. But if I had to choose my favorite, it would be my bedroom.

What fictional family would you be a member of?

I honestly can’t think of a fictional family that I’d rather be a member of than my own non-fictional family. But, if I had to choose one, it would probably be the “All in the Family” family because it was most similar to my own when I was growing up. My father was a real Archie Bunker type and I was the liberal Michael (“Meathead”) Stivic antagonist type.

What did you appreciate or what made you smile this past week?

The weather where I live. While much of the rest of the country is dealing with sweltering temperatures and high humidity, I’m dealing with highs in the low 60s.6c988166-5e99-4924-b590-fa10f1000fc3.jpeg

10 thoughts on “Share Your World — Olives, Rooms, and Fictional Families

1. Sight11 August 20, 2018 / 6:59 pm

Weather can be tricky, the heat wave since last month was tricky for me, especially since I don’t use air conditioning anymore. Imagine the timing.

• Fandango August 20, 2018 / 7:21 pm

I’m definitely not a fan of anchovies.

2. cagedunn August 20, 2018 / 7:28 pm

Having lived without indoor plumbing on several occasions, I’d go for …

• Fandango August 20, 2018 / 7:39 pm

Understandable. If I had ever lived without indoor plumbing, which I never have except for brief camping trips, I’d prize the bathroom over all others, too.

• cagedunn August 20, 2018 / 8:06 pm

It definitely teaches you about the things that matter – not having to go out in the dark, fight off spiders and snakes, listen to critters too close to the other side of the door, oh, and the long-drop itself (hell has nothing on those things if the users don’t understand the use of lime, ash, and dried stuff).

3. Marleen August 21, 2018 / 5:53 am

My family had a neighbor couple, when I was very little, who owned a country house. We would visit them there a time or two each summer. I know just enough about a flat wood surface (with an opening), lime, critters, dark, two bowls of water. It’s hard to think of our friends choosing to live that way all summer every summer when they had a thoroughly-equipped house. A few hours from home is where we were when everyone looked up at the moon if not at their television sets in 1969. (I think they had electricity for lights, no television there.)

I decided I appreciated participating in estate sales last week. I don’t think I’ve ever bought anything at one before; now I have. I hope to again. But I guess I especially appreciated the guy I haggled with there; he was friendly and told me about an estate sale app.

Nobody’s answering all the questions, so I’ll stop there…

I think a difference between a garage sale [from which I’ve bought something maybe three times in my life] and an estate sale is that estate sales take cards. (No one had died or was moving or anything like that, so something sad or morbid is not the definition.)