Dog Days of August

Today’s Ragtag Daily Prompt is “dog.” Given the events of this past week between Donald Trump and his former White House staffer, Omarosa Manigault Newman, the only African-American to have served in a senior role, I thought this prompt was well timed.

To set the stage, Omarosa was fired from her White House position by chief-of-staff John Kelly in February. Omarosa, an “Apprentice” contestant several times over, published a “tell-all” book this week. It’s titled Unhinged, and is all about her time in the Trump White House. She’s also released some audio tapes she surreptitiously recorded and says she has many more.

Aparently Trump apparently went ballistic and, of course, he started rage tweeting. In one of them, he called Omarosa a dog.img_2202Calling Omarosa a dog did not sit well with a lot of people. But, of course, his loyal, puppy dog-like press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, defended him.img_2195

13 thoughts on “Dog Days of August

• Fandango August 18, 2018 / 4:41 pm

True. They love it when he hits below the belt.

1. MNL August 18, 2018 / 3:58 pm

Sarah has to be worried about what he’s going to call her when she gets fired. Seems to me like Trump plays the shell game very well. He does something stupid or incompetent. He fires somebody with much yelling and verbal abuse and absolutely no class. Everyone watches the bombastic fireworks and forgets that thing he did. Except for writers whether newspapers, magazine, books or blogs — we have the memory of elephants and are likely to resurrect something long after everyone else has forgotten

2. Sight11 August 18, 2018 / 8:35 pm

That’s sad, in a way. Dogs are loyal so calling someone, who is not loyal as per your standards, a dog, is pretty stupid. I don’t know why I’m writing this in the comment, but it’s weird to use dog for a disloyal fellow.

• Marleen August 18, 2018 / 9:03 pm

It is weird, in a way. I think the thing about it with Trump is that it’s a throwback insult to the early twentieth century (I guess when America “was” great)… not like it’s supposed to make direct sense about disloyalty. When I used to attend a synogogue, before I moved to where I am, the rabbi conveyed that it had been common for places like restaurants to put out signs saying no dogs were allowed (and that it meant Jews). I just think it’s supposed to be an “othering” tactic.

• Fandango August 18, 2018 / 9:42 pm

Yes, just another way for him to demean someone else to make himself feel better.

• Marleen August 18, 2018 / 10:41 pm

Yeah. To make himself (his pathetic self) feel better.