50 Word Thursday —Time to Move On

FD4EE5BE-A8E0-4EEE-9669-6E641E94A181He had just violated a fairly elemental rule; he had snitched, which was the most difficult thing he’d done in his young life. He told his parents about how he had been sexually abused by one of the priests.

The Church arranged to transfer that priest to a different parish.

(50 words)

Written for Deb Whittam’s 50 Word Thursday prompt.

11 thoughts on “50 Word Thursday —Time to Move On

1. James August 17, 2018 / 3:48 pm

To briefly address Deb, this isn’t God, it’s people and a corrupt religious system (not that all Catholics are child molesters).

A friend of mine who shares most of my religious views (it’s complicated) wrote a blog post about this that I couldn’t possibly top, so at the risk of “spamming” you, I’ll leave the URL to it here:

We’re not all monsters.

• Fandango August 17, 2018 / 4:12 pm

“this isn’t God, it’s people and a corrupt religious system.” True, they are mere mortals, but who claim to be God’s earthly representatives.

2. Christine Bolton August 17, 2018 / 5:54 pm

Transfer the priest? In the corporate world we used to call that shoveling shit. (Pardon my language but these stories coming out of the catholic church just incense me 😡)

3. Sight11 August 17, 2018 / 7:50 pm

The problem is not that the system protect them, the problem is that the system, gives them the opportunity to continue it.

4. pensitivity101 August 18, 2018 / 5:56 am

Most abusers are those the victims trust or know. The fact that some are priests goes beyond betrayal, and to ‘transfer the priest’ in question should have been to put him behind bars imo.

• Fandango August 18, 2018 / 6:33 am

“to ‘transfer the priest’ in question should have been to put him behind bars.” I agree.

• Marleen August 18, 2018 / 8:42 am

Excellent wording, pensitivity.

5. Marleen August 18, 2018 / 8:48 am

By the way, I never taught my kids not to snitch — that whole taboo.

I simply exhibited behaviour that wasn’t gossipy.
    They were encouraged to be open, considerate, honest.