An Abiding Love

BBED5D65-6D1E-474E-91D0-3B3F11CDAB5EIt was anything but love at first sight. I was sitting on a porch swing on the back deck of my friend’s house. He and his wife were having a party and I was not having a very good time. So I went out to the deck to smoke a cigarette.

That was when she came out onto the deck. She looked at me, made a face, and then demanded that I put out my cigarette. “I simply cannot abide by cigarette smoke,” she said.

My initial thought was to tell the haughty bitch to go fuck herself. This was an outside deck and I was here first. Who the fuck was she to tell me to douse my cigarette? But then I looked over at her and saw this stunningly beautiful vision and decided to be a bit more accommodating. I tossed my cigarette out onto the grass. “Happy now?” I said sarcastically.

She looked at me, said, “Yes, I am, thank you,” and then immediately walked back inside the house. Fucking selfish bitch, I thought to myself, and lit another cigarette.

A few minutes later I walked back into the house and she was standing into the kitchen talking to my friend’s wife. When she saw me, she excused herself and walked over to me. “I was very rude to you before and I want to apologize,” she said, putting her hand out toward me. I didn’t respond. I just stared at her because her beauty, even in the harsh lights of the hall just outside of the kitchen, was breathtaking.

“My father,” she said, breaking the awkward silence, “succumbed to lung cancer six months ago. He had such a zest for life, but couldn’t kick his two-packs-a-day habit until it was too late. The smell of cigarette smoke reminds me so much of him and I’m still having a hard time dealing with his death.”

“Yeah, I can understand that,” I said, finally reaching out to accept her offered handshake.

That was almost twenty-five years ago and the two of us have shared an abiding love ever since that night. And, by the way, that was also the night I quit smoking.

Written for today’s Your Daily Word Prompt (porch), today’s Ragtag Daily Prompt (zest), today’s Word of the Day Challenge (abiding), and today’s Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (love). Photo credit: Frank McKenna.

25 thoughts on “An Abiding Love

1. Marilyn Armstrong August 13, 2018 / 3:26 pm

You know I can’t remember when I met Garry? I know the year and I know WHERE we were, but not when we were. That was 55 years ago and we’ve been married for almost 29 of them. Best move we ever made!

2. grogalot August 13, 2018 / 3:37 pm

Ah, the vagaries of chance. Nice story. Life is a crap shoot, I think you might agree.

• Fandango August 13, 2018 / 4:41 pm

It’s being in the right place at the right time, I think.

3. Sight11 August 13, 2018 / 3:49 pm

Two of ‘us’ have, the second last line.. And you called Mrs Fandango b***h?

• Fandango August 13, 2018 / 4:50 pm

Thanks. I fixed it. And this was pure fiction. It’s not even close to how I met Mrs. Fandango. But yes, there have been times….

• Sight11 August 13, 2018 / 4:51 pm

I know how you met, you told me, blind date, just pulling your leg Sensei.

4. Paula Light August 13, 2018 / 4:57 pm

That’s what we call a “cute meet” in a romance novel. But usually one of you would be British and the other a spy for France, or something. 🙂

5. baddadcartoons101 August 13, 2018 / 7:25 pm

I remember giving up smokeless tobacco for girls when I was 18. At 18 girls can be quite the motivater!

• Fandango August 13, 2018 / 9:36 pm

Yeah, and I bet most of them were not impressed by a guy with a big chaw of tobacco bulging from his cheek, not to mention the spitting. Good call giving it up for girls.

• Fandango August 13, 2018 / 10:14 pm

Maybe I’m a cynic, but it seems like most sweet, romantic tales these days are fictitious.

• paeansunplugged August 13, 2018 / 10:21 pm

No, that is not being cynical. It is called being realistic. And you are right…romance these days can usually be found mostly in fiction.

• Sheryl August 14, 2018 / 6:04 am

First, I LOVED this story.

Real romance is out there. https://twitter.com/_Megan_Tennant, Her boyfriend, proposed, she said yes, he handed her a plane ticket to a tropical local and now they are married in the same week. He planned it all as a surprise because she’s busy with work.

My hubby ‘saved’ me from enduring ‘polite’ conversation with a disgusting, smelly, pompous asshat, the night we met. We’ve been married 15+ years now.

6. pensitivity101 August 14, 2018 / 7:31 am

Well done for meeting your good lady, and even more so for kicking the habit. Hubby and I both gave up in 1991 and started married life as non smokers. Other than marrying him, it was the best thing I ever did.

7. leigha66 August 16, 2018 / 5:46 am

So I know this is not a true story, but did you ever give up smoking for someone? Great write!